Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: InvaderRoxas

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
InvaderRoxas triangle
Hi there, and welcome to my sketchbook! My name's Daphne, friends also call me Dan or Invader, and I am a current sophomore at the College for Creative Studies in Detroit. My specific areas of interest include game design as a whole, though through recent exploration I am individualizing myself as a 2D/3D environment artist, along with a focus in lighting and story script writing/narrative development. Over the last year I've taken my first dive into 3D modeling, and will primarily use this sketchbook for such work as it is my least developed skill. My goal is to improve dramatically as a 3D artist as I reach the end of my span at CCS, so critique here is not only greatly appreciated, but encouraged and sought after!

Thanks for taking the time to look at my work! Hopefully in due time this sketchbook will be full of a variety of different projects in the coming weeks and months. 

Best,
Daphne

Replies

• InvaderRoxas
    So for this first post, our second project in Game Art 1 for this semester was to dive into Zbrush and create a character bust sculpt based on existing concept art, with the sole focus not being on topology structure or texture work, but pure sculpting skill. Before I dove into modeling, I considered myself on track to become a character artist specifically. Since that has changed, I was very eager to start this project and learn about sculpting in order to see if 3D character work is something I will be considering in the future. At the moment, I am still on the fence, but I anticipate learning more about Zbrush and continuing my studies will help me make up my mind.

Concept art for this model's design can be found here, and all credit in this regard goes to Tundra Rudin: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/b6RkG

This project utilized Zbrush as previously described, with some base modeling done in Maya prior. All images were rendered in Maya as well, with some minor touch up in Photoshop.
  • InvaderRoxas
  • InvaderRoxas
  • SputnikJr
    I saw red and blue and knew it was you lol. You killed it. 
  • InvaderRoxas
  • InvaderRoxas

WIP Stylized Tree for an upcoming project: a majority of the inspiration for this style comes from Animal Crossing. Plan on trying out an evergreen tree next now that I've got the process down. 
  • InvaderRoxas
    Offline / Send Message
    InvaderRoxas triangle

Third project finished from Game Art 1! Our assignment was to create a prop based of of pre-existing concept art, utilizing the workflow we have developed in class. I had a lot of fun with this project, and it really helped me get used to using ZBrush, and especially Substance Painter. I haven't always been too fond of doing rigorous texture work, but now that I've spent a good chunk of time in Substance, I can say with confidence I can't wait to texture another prop, or anything for that matter!

I used a concept from ROOM 8 STUDIO, which can be found here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/wYe0V
  • InvaderRoxas

Been in the process of working on an exterior forest environment based on the blockout posted above, and wanted to get back into weapon making for a bit. Made an Axe for the main villain, Morganne The Witch, that's placed outside her mansion near the shack as an ominous warning. 
  • InvaderRoxas
    Offline / Send Message
    InvaderRoxas triangle

Final project for Game Art 1 is complete! Had so much fun jumping into UE4 to bring this concept to life, and learned a lot along the way. I have a newfound love not just for foliage, but crystals as well--if that is not evident enough in this piece! I look forward to continuing to work on this project over the summer semester, focusing on learning more about foliage and creating the cabin interior. 
  • InvaderRoxas
    Kicking off my Fall 2020 semester into high gear! I'm taking an Advanced Computer Generated Environments course this semester, which has been really up my alley. Our first project was based off of ruins, so I decided to make an island covered with foliage that led up to a forgotten temple. I wanted to focus on bettering my understanding of the foliage pipeline, and I also took the opportunity to mess with a gradient water shader and UE4's particle system to make falling leaves. I plan on making a fantasy, DND-inspired fall forest for my final for this course, so this was a nice warm up to test out some new techniques before then. My next project is sci-fi based, which isn't something I have really messed with yet, so I am very much looking forward to it. I prepared a video, along with other images, for this project which you can find on my ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/5XKA6O