I'm currently sculpting a tree asset to be used in a larger UE4 I plan to create. I'm having trouble figuring out the best workflow to make my low poly retopologized asset from my high poly sculpt.
So far I have sculpted the tree trunk in Zbrush and now I'm trying to figure out the most practical way to retopo Static organic assets for games.
As you can see my tree has a lot of detail and intense curves. I know the basic workflow for making high to low and baking down, but I'm confused about the best way to approach this type of asset.
From what I understand. Tris aren't a major concern (this object won't be animated), I'm not even sure if edge flow and even topology is that crucial because it's a tree (correct me if I'm wrong). Regardless, to mitigate artifacts and normal bake errors I've taken the liberty of making the low poly follow the curvature of the tree and have tried my best to match/overlap the low mesh on top of the high.
I've tried the following techniques to achieve retopo:
- Export decimated zbrush obj. into 3ds max, and began to use Topologik's tools to layer a low poly mesh over my high poly.
- And, use Zremesher to make low from high. Using the Topology guide brush and Polypaint to influence the edgeflow and poly count density in areas where deformation happened after Zremeshing.
I've spent waaay to many hours over the past day during research about different retopo workflows, but I couldn't find anything specific to my needs for this asset.
As you can see, the Zremeshed version might pick up all those sculpted details better, but at the expense of clean topology.
My goal is:
- To have a high res version of this tree in a realtime UE4 scene.
- Since this won't be animated, I don't want to spend a lot of time making a low poly version if it's not necessary.
- I want to optimize my assets for practice, but ultimately I want the scene to look high res more than anything.
- My finished scene won't be that big (more like a diorama).
Ultimately my questions are:
- What is the best way to get a complex shaped realistic tree normal map/bake into a game engine, with a High to Low poly workflow? (THE TREE IS MY HERO ASSET/CENTER PIECE, so I don't mind if I need to use more polys in order to pick up the normal map better)
- What are the guidelines for retopo when it comes to this kind of an object? (Static, organic, inanimate)
Thanks in advance.