Home Technical Talk

Problem with sizing/editing normal maps

Okay so I'm trying to render out some 4096x4096 normal maps with the intention of downsizing them to 2048 or less, but any form of editing or just resizing will break how it displays in 3ds max.  I did research this a bit and found that I needed to re-normalize the map using nvidia's normal map filter plugin for photoshop.  I run the filter with 'normalize only' checked but it still breaks how it's displayed.    The attached image shows two copies of the same model using the same material settings, the only difference is one is using a downsized map that I supposedly 're-normalized'.    This a top view of a helicopter toy I'm working on for a virtual pinball table.  What am I missing? Am I doing something wrong?  I'm using an older version of the plugin on my older work station since I can't seem to get a new release to work on my new work station without it just crashing PS when I try to use the filter.  This model does use symmetrical UV's but I have the same issue with other models that don't use symmetry.

Replies

• EricB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ended up finding out it was gamma/LUT correction causing display issue, either rendering without gamma correction, or preferably just overriding gamma settings on baked map on import will solve the display issues.