Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Penguin Snowglobe Critique

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/penguin-snowglobe-048e4546be5643e3947588d2cf02d095
As a 3D game student, I am looking to expand my portfolio with scenes that are easy to read and that also tell a story.
This is a Snowglobe with penguins and an igloo in it. What do you guys think? Made Using Maya, 3DCoat, and Sketchfab.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looks cute! Does the glass have thickness? For something which is so simple, you could have used more polygons for a smoother silhouette. Could have also made the penguins and igloo bigger, and included less penguins.
  • Chase_L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cute! Does the glass have thickness? For something which is so simple, you could have used more polygons for a smoother silhouette. Could have also made the penguins and igloo bigger, and included less penguins.
    Thanks for the critique! As for the thickness of the glass it is just one poly mesh using an alpha layer with Sketchfab's refraction alpha. I see what you mean by using more polys in that area as i can see the clear edging on the glass. Now that i look at it i see now it does look a bit busy haha! I need to learn the fine line between what looks simple while not being too crowded. Thanks for that input! 

Also, what do you think are things I should make for future portfolio pieces? Should I continue making all inclusive scenes like this? 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I would find some cool concept art on ArtStation. Maybe start a collection on ArtStation, and find some art you really want to create!