Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Junior 3d looking for a job and need brutal critique :)

NikolaLauer
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
NikolaLauer polycounter lvl 3
Hi,
I don't know where to start ^^" .
I am a 3D hobbist wants to go PRO.
So I am desparate, writing a CV for over two weeks, trying setting a decend portfolio but because of my selfdoubt, I am afraid to apply for the junior job because It sound to good to be true, gives the " I can do that " felling and my brain automaticly search for the hook, and no I did not write it to get pity just to release some stress and set the atmoshere to why I am writing the post.

So long story short,  is my portfolio at least good enough to start in the industry or will I be treated as a joke,  there not many junior position in my country so lets say  before I apply I want to at least make sure that, I not underskilled and  maybe get some feedback. 
Is hard to tell what exacly they search for in a candidate, the job offer don't tell much and their official site says they do many genres and styles so... I am lost
:'( .
Since in my portfolio are both  hard surface and organic I can't decide which path is better for me yet. I don't mind beying a Generalist though but will this not backfire?

Here is my "Oficial " portfolio
https://www.artstation.com/nikolal
and below some work, I plan to add maybe later or never ^^". 

PS. I dont know why but sometimes I have the felling that people are afraid to critique me or maybe my attidue is the problem .. , so don't worry gIve me all you got I can handle it :).
PS2.  does having a backelor in IT and  having some programming/ testing  skill help or is a ney ? in the offer they where mention a wide open career paths. Does a 3d artist with testing/programing skill is a bad combination and beter not mention on interviews, of course when I get a chance for an interview I mean.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey! Good luck in your job hunt! Your art needs a lot of practice, but keep going! Put a focus on improving your texturing skills. Maybe take some texturing courses online, but make sure they're really good courses. Try and decide on environment or character art. Compare your stuff with that of a professional. Pick up ZBrush and Substance Painter, learn those and it'll help so much!
  • danimal
    Offline / Send Message
    danimal node
    Hey Nikola.
    Ok im in the same boat as you. I am self taught and we need to be our strongest critics. You seem to understand 3d but you need to show more skill sets. The props you made are pretty generic. Maby find some concept art you fill you can model. Give credit to the artist and use that.
    As far as is your portfolio good enough to start applying? Sure, does that mean you will get a job? No. In fact you could apply to all the companys you want. You just wont get any response from the studio. Best advice Ive read was you need to be as good if not better then the artist at the studio you are applying to. even as a junior artist.
    Honestly your work dosent say generalist it says beginner. Actually it says youtube how to videos.
    look at cgma I took some of the online 3d classes and that helped me out and I will probably take some texturing classes because honestly i need to be better.  Good luck man.
    P.s. If you went to school for IT maby look into unreal engine and use that as a springboard to move into "3d art" 
    All n all yes you need to be better but thats something you should be saying every time you sit at the computer.
  • alytlebird
    Offline / Send Message
    alytlebird interpolator
    I won't repeat anything that's already been said as far as feedback, but I will say this: focus on improving your observation skills. When looking at a metal chain, a beginner artist sees a sequence of torus shapes linked together and says "oh that'll be easy!" An experienced artist looks at a metal chain and recognizes an elongated capsule shape, the thickness of the metal, various surface imperfections, different angles as each link hangs from another, the effects of age on each link (rust/oxidation, etc.), and the method that the chain is fastened on each end. Looking at reference and recognizing all these little details is an essential skill if you want to go far as a 3D artist. I can see some of those skills in action in your stone fireplace scene, but your execution needs work as well, which goes back to watching tutorials and taking courses, as others have mentioned.

Best of luck to you. :)
  • NikolaLauer
    Offline / Send Message
    NikolaLauer polycounter lvl 3
    First of all thanks for all the feedback and advices I really apreciate all of them :).

Ashervisalis  You are right my texturing sucks , I bought  Substance Painter a month ago and yes I should have search for good course a long ago not only for texturing  but I not sure If I will be able to distiguish  between good and bad courses but I will try, maybe looking at profesionals work more in analatic points of view will help.  And decide beetwen character and enviro hmm I think I would have to do more work to see what apels to me more. And thanks again for advice and reply :).

danimal I admit I must have ask the wrong questions ^^" sorry about that.  We are almost in the same boat I am still  torn beetwen paths programming, testing, or only 3d, maybe thats the reasons I can't rise above beginer level of each is a pity there is not a job that bind all of them, but on the other hand mostly desired are the experts in one field or not? Well now I know why the worst decision is not making it at all. Ah and dont worry every single time I sit at the computer I feel guild that I not growing fast enough, I know I should really fix my mindset too, after I change the toxic enviroment I in, of course  I mean me "suportive" family.  Thanks to people like you I feel there is still hope to turn the tables, I dont mean ill will here :) . About asking for a concept art Is hard to explain I feel always stupid to ask I am little bit afraid of rejection, but I will work on it too. If I understand you rigth, you propably wanted to tell me that I not ready yet but mind be after practice practise ? Well then I thank for the kind words then :)

alytlebird  thanks, I think my English teacher was calling something similar  a "language instict" so I asume If I practice long enough I will get "the 3d Artist instict" to see what others don't see. I appreciate the compliment that at least I got something rigth <3 . Just to make sure  I never considered either of paths I try to choose between, as easy  to learn, but sometimes is simple hard to be the best of yourself and get a grip every day. Anyway thats mean I have to develop new obsesion like observing more. And thanks again for advices :).

To summarizing all, I will aim for the testing job position that I feel capable to do for now,  to at least get to the industry to check out the PRO's, and gain good habits in between and of course I will try to use the advices from you all and expand my knowledge and abilities and maybe finaly choose one path. And thanks again for feedback :).

PS.I wass kind of thinking hard yesterday, well theoretically I can set models in Ue4 , manage even some basic setting of movements, make rigs for animation and merging , blueprints, material, ai ,etc , and the documentation is readible. But still I need to choose, so I will start with a game junior testing job since I guess I not ready yet for neither programing or 3d modeling  yet  I have many projects of each field but I would not consider them even good more like a playground, so putting it simpler as everyone above where right I need more practise. But testing mind be a reasonable choice for getting into industries who know maybe I will stick with only testing, and will catch all of them :). I know that as a tester I will probably play the same level for the 1000 of time and writing reports  I dont mind actually , I doing something similar on smaler scale though anyway, as a hobbist of course. 

PS2.I am curently working as a seller so lets say I would not consider this as a dream job more bad decision hard to fix, not getting younger.

PS3 I mind write a Epiloge If Either I land or not the job :)