Home Technical Talk

[3ds max] Graphite modeling tools - which of them only work with Editable Poly and not Edit Poly ?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Orphydian polycounter lvl 8

which of them only work with Editable Poly and not with Edit Poly as well or have limitations in Edit Poly either because its intended or due to bugs ?

I found that Build End and Build corner work only with Editable Poly

GUID-DE21153C-3DF0-412D-8D21-56399362A5BF  GUID-CDB05128-5E65-4927-84FD-0245C9CF8810

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would turn your question around and ask why do you want to use Edit Poly?

Many people new to Max will try to add multiple modifiers in the modifier stack as a way to save Undo history. But this is a flawed approach, because many of the modifiers are resolution-dependent, they will "forget" their edits if you change the vertex count or vertex order below them in the stack. 

For example, make a Box primitive, then add an Edit Poly modifier and Extrude the top of the Box. Then go down into the Box modifier and change the Length and Width Segs. Then go back up into the Edit Poly modifier... your Extrude is messed up!

If you want to use vertex-history-dependent modifiers, use them very carefully, and Collapse the stack when you're done editing. If you're doing subdivision surface modeling, keep the stack as clean as possible. For example, Editable Poly + Symmetry + OpenSubdiv, that's all. 

My 2 cents.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Does anyone actually use either of those two features mentioned? I wrote versions of them for Maya using MEL over 10 years ago, and they'd be trivial to implement in Maxscript for Edit Poly.
  • coven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coven polycounter lvl 6
    Those should work. I'll write up a defect.

Thanks!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    PolyHertz said:
    Does anyone actually use either of those two features mentioned? I wrote versions of them for Maya using MEL over 10 years ago, and they'd be trivial to implement in Maxscript for Edit Poly.
    Haven't used them once ;)