Home Career & Education

How do you train vizualization?

Deniell
triangle
Offline / Send Message
Deniell triangle
Hello. If my english is good enough I think the title self-explenatory. :D I have a problem with proper vizualization when I do hard-surface modeling. Especially when I work with booleans, some shapes are just to difficult to me or some transition from sharp to rounded etc. If you had similar problem like me, how did you solve it? Thank you.

Replies

• Pirax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pirax triangle
    Tutorials are your best bet, if your using 3DS max check out Arrimus3D on YouTube. He has lots of modelling tutorials showing how he makes complex geometry. Even if you don't use max I'd say its useful to see how he approaches problematic shapes. GL :)
  • Deniell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deniell triangle
    I know Arrimus3D channel very well. He's a beast when it comes to hard surface. He helped me a lot and I see progress with vizualization but I think I'm stuck now so I'm trying find something else that would push me more forward. But I guess it wouldn't hurt if I rewatch some of his tutorials. :D Thank you Pirax.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    There are a variety of learning paths toward building a visual design kind of muscle memory library as it relates too hard surface asset creation. That said, over time what mainly I'd found worked for me is by simply trial and error actually *doing* something inside your app of choice. Breaking so called 'rules' which typically emphasis that using tri's and/or ngons to finalise a given object is bad however an all quad shape might necessarily not be the best solution for every case.

And sure, quality online tutorials nowadays are a mainstay for most aspiring modellers seeking to gain some insight into their chosen discipline, although when I'd first started out text books were the norm and to an extent I still rely on today for further knowledge into not only the "How" but more importantly, is the "Why" a thing is done.

Highly Recommended:

EDIT:
    ...oh, almost forgot our own PC modelling resource and take it from me you'll also find a ton of relevant stuff, this long-running thread is practically a goldmine for those with patience and willingness too learn:

• Deniell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deniell triangle
    Thank you sacboi. This is what I was looking for. :)