Home Technical Talk

Are these all the software I need to make a good game as a small group?

Icaraeus
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Icaraeus polycounter lvl 4
Hello, I am working on my first videogame which will be small in scale. Just a 3d sword fighting game with a few buildings, underground section and maybe some roads with some vegetation. I have 1 other person helping me at the moment (a few more would be great!) and the aim is to finish it by the end of the year. Or even by the middle of this year if we fly through it.

I currently have UE4, Visual Studio 2019, Blender and intend to use Speedtree and Substance Designer or Painter (or both, not quite sure which one is best atm). The audio will come towards the end, but is this enough to get almost everything complete?

Which software, by the way, is the easiest and best for creating high quality character models? And can all the animation be done through blender?

I'm trying to spend as little as is necessary. So far I've only paid $20 USD for software (got Unreal Engine 4 back when it was subscription based, so a long time ago).
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Caramel_Slices96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caramel_Slices96 polycounter lvl 3
    To answer your question regarding the best software for producing character models, it is related more towards the artist than the software used. Also it is highly dependent on the style you're aiming for, are you aiming for a realistic look, something cartoon, maybe somewhere in between? 

A good looking and functional character can be achieved by modelling through Blender or other 3D package, however if you're aiming for more intense details then you may want to consider a sculpting software such as Zbrush. 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    A good looking and functional character can be achieved by modelling through Blender or other 3D package, however if you're aiming for more intense details then you may want to consider a sculpting software such as Zbrush. 
    This