Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

beat up ice cream van. looking for feedback

node
Offline / Send Message
danimal node
Hey guys pretty new hear. Posted before with little response, oh well. second time around. So im working on game assets. this van was created from a original van but not ment to be a exact replica. if I could get any feedback from developers in regards to shape and design. I know textures need some work so in regards to shape and design any feedback? thanks for looking and hoping to hear from ya.   

Replies

• e_manual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_manual polycounter lvl 3
    definitely has potential,

looking at the wireframe it has too many polygons for the bevels and where the shape doesn't affect the silhouette such as those edge loops right down the middle are you planning to bake this into a normal map or mid-poly model with bevels?

on the flip side there is a part that could use more edges to a have a smooth shape, I circled it on the image.

The UV's could use some work, UV shells should be straightened if it has mininal strenching to maximize space and should help at lower resolutions. I would also turn on UV percentage in the uv window ( View > Heads-Up Display > UV Statistics options) if it is already ticked, turn it off and on again to make it show. a good percentage to aim for is 70 % or greater.

I know you are planning on revising the textures, but here are a few of my recommendations, depending if you want to convey a dilapidated truck, I would add varying levels and scales of damage and grunge e.g adding large dents and scratches and then very small details as well. It also looks like the scratches have been applied uniformly across the whole model I would have a think about where such detail would most likely be seen in the real world, such as the fenders, bumpers and areas lower to the ground. I would also decrease the roughness of the paint to make it more shiny and add a dust/ dried mud pass with high roughness. I am not sure if you have glass windows on the model, if not I would recommended adding windows and applying the dust pass to that as well.

Hope this helps.
  • danimal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danimal node
    Great feedback! im thinking mid poly with bevels. id like to use substance for the detail instead of zbrush. I didnt know about the uv percentage ill aim for 70. Thanks for the feedback on texturing as well pretty new to substance. 
    And no windows yet im still trying to figure that out. Thanks for taking the time to look at my work and the great feedback. Ill post revised soon
  • e_manual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome! glad I could be of help. excited to see your revisions!
  • danimal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danimal node
    Again thanks for the feedback. I took out some edge loops i felt i could loose on the body. as far as uv'ing im a bit lost on 70% I think I adjusted the percentage but is it just the amount of space coverd already? Or should it adjust the uv to around 70% when I select the shells and hit apply? Ive tried looking on youtube to get a better understanding but nothing. Maby im over thinking it. Should I be making each uv shell as big as I can? or just add more uv shells to the texture sheet? And should the edges of the door be straight like the steeps. LOL sorry for all the questions. thanks for the help.
  • e_manual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The percentage is just to gauge how much space is curretly used by uv shells. Are you using the Layout UV's feature in maya? if so, could you show your Layout UV's options so I can see your settings. 
  • danimal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danimal node
    So my basic workflow is cut edges then hit unfold then hit layout. Then just cut and sew as needed.
  • e_manual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hold down Shift and click Layout there are more options, although for that UV in the screenshot, layout probably won't do much since its mostly just one uv shell
  • danimal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danimal node
    I had no idea that was there. mind blown
  • danimal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danimal node
    thanks again for the help with the uv's. 
  • e_manual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would first orient all of the shells to make sure there not rotated at odd angles, then straighten the uv's I circled, you may have to do this manually. 

Then switch the method over to legacy ( just a personal preference of mine apart from 3d-coat layout)  and turn prescale to world and shell spacing to your desired target resolution, this is the padding between shells. Also I recommend this tutorial from chamferzone for uv unwrapping, although its done in 3ds max and the theory is primary targeted towards achieving good normal map bakes rather then a mid-poly model, I think it still a good watch! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbZ7ip-eCcI
  • danimal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danimal node
    You have gone above and beyond. Thanks for the reply's and ill check out that video. gota apply these skills to my other assets.