Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Ratatouille Linguini's House

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
RamonBelmonte polycounter lvl 2
Hi there!

This is my first time posting here in Polycount. My name is Ramon Belmonte, (https://www.artstation.com/ramibelmonte) I'm a junior 3D artist from Spain. I've just finished my first studies in 3D modeling with Maya (an intermediate course of six months) but I want to push my skills in 3D modeling for film and television, focused in cartoon style.

I've decided to create this environment, the Linguini's House from Ratatouille because this movie was one the first that throw me to the world of 3D "professionally".The lights, buildings and colors of the movie are really impressive, although now is an "old" movie (2007).

My approach to create this environment is going to be:
1. Blocking the house with basic shapes, to test proportions and camera renders.
2. Modeling the assets in Maya and detailing in Zbrush when required. 
3. Baking and texturing in Substance Painter and Designer.
4. Light set up and camera set up in Maya.
5. Render in Arnold.

My references of the Linguini's House from Ratatouille. I use Pureref for this, an amazing tool.

I'm gonna try to do all my best with this environment. First step: blocking!

Replies

• RamonBelmonte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RamonBelmonte polycounter lvl 2
    Okay guys, I've started with the blocking process. I'm having some troubles with the position of the assets and walls to match the perspective view from references with the scene.

I also create some lights to test the first renders. I think I need to open the focal lenght to 12 or 15mm in some shots to have the same results as the reference images. 

I'm going to start modeling the fridge and the sink because It's seems that they are the main assets of the house. Also, they would give me a good view of the scale of the other models and rooms. The most complicated thing will be to get the appropiate lookdev of the objects. The windows will be other strong point of the environment, especially for the lights that they offer to the rooms and the views through them. After all... This is Paris!

Still a lot of work to do in the assets. The big thing comes now!