Home Technical Talk

Creature and animal anatomy guidance

Hello, I REALLY want to specialize in realistic creature modeling, not really interested in normal humans though I wouldn't mind it either. I was wondering if learning human anatomy would be required before learning creature anatomy and where is a good place to find creature anatomy study and lessons. I started using zBrush recently and started playing around with the sculpting so I was wondering how hard would it be to be a realistic 3d creature artist like the ones for Ark Survival.

It does not matter what industry, I would just like to model them for anything whether its for 3d printing, concept designing, film, games, or science etc. so where would be a good place to start? Thanks!

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    "...so where would be a good place to start?" 

Well, anatomical studies will definitely provide an essential foundation necessary for either plausible bi-ped and/or quadriped creature generation I think you're interested in pursuing, one only has to browse the top echelon selection of Artstation portfolios via accomplished industry artists, glimpsing a smorgasbord array of high fidelity content regardless of style or indeed genre. Although I don't use Zbrush for sculpting, there are obviously many online quality tutorial/course resources too cherry pick but usually for a beginner can at times be a challenge sorting through. Now I believe when someone decides too self learn anything, the most efficient and effective route is by simply learning from the best and Michael Pavlovich is certainly that, so my advice, check out his extremely detailed step by step "Creature Production" series: https://gumroad.com/l/sRlZ...basically test yourself whilst gaining invaluable industry workflow insight at the same time. 

Cheers.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Study from real life as much as possible! There's no substitute.

Check out Aaron Blaise (disney artist/animator) on youtube. He has a lot of good advice for just this thing. I believe he also regularly has a livestream on youtube where people can ask questions.

Sometimes it's good to not listen to what people are saying so much, even if they are really successful, but watch what they are doing. And there you see what is consistent among the best. They are always making art! Aaron Blaise has been drawing critters for like 30 years. And still there he is every week doing the same thing on youtube. So clearly it is not a slavish grind for "gains". It is a never-ending passion for the craft. If you don't got that, you gotta get it.

• shane34989
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi said:
    "...so where would be a good place to start?" 

Well, anatomical studies will definitely provide an essential foundation necessary for either plausible bi-ped and/or quadriped creature generation I think you're interested in pursuing, one only has to browse the top echelon selection of Artstation portfolios via accomplished industry artists, glimpsing a smorgasbord array of high fidelity content regardless of style or indeed genre. Although I don't use Zbrush for sculpting, there are obviously many online quality tutorial/course resources too cherry pick but usually for a beginner can at times be a challenge sorting through. Now I believe when someone decides too self learn anything, the most efficient and effective route is by simply learning from the best and Michael Pavlovich is certainly that, so my advice, check out his extremely detailed step by step "Creature Production" series: https://gumroad.com/l/sRlZ...basically test yourself whilst gaining invaluable industry workflow insight at the same time. 

Cheers.
    Thanks you very much for the advice, I am going to check it out and try it out. I am just so overwhelmed by all the different things being thrown around it makes it very hard on where to start and where to focus.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    I would start with only one animal and get expert in it. For example study the next 6 Month only horses.
    And in the end you should have something like this.
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ZKkAN