Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Game Ready Škorpion - feedback/ critique welcomed!

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
e_manual polycounter lvl 3
Hi everyone,
here is a game ready asset I have been working on. Modeled in 3ds max and texturered in substance painter with some quick preview renders in Marmoset, I greatly appreciate any feedback/ critique.

Replies

• Evren01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evren01 triangle
    Generally it looks good, you can just try to achive a better rendering. If you set up some more contrasty lightings in marmoset this will improve you render quality in my opinion. Lasty, not too much but straps are looking like intersecting with gun handle and overwrinkled at some parts. You can try a different approach for straps if you want but it is still good even if you don't. Congratulations.
  • e_manual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @Evren01 for the feedback!
    yes definitely the renders/ lighting  need more work, I will also be refining the textures a bit more. 
    In regards to the straps, are you referring to the rubber bands on the stock, or the cloth wrap on the handle?
  • Evren01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evren01 triangle
    Yes, only cloth wrap on the handle. If you use marvelous designer you can get an awesome result in 5 min for that part. 
  • e_manual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @Evren01
    Yes I did use Marvelous designer, if it is not an inconvenience, may you please circle the parts which you have noticed intersections and over wrinkling on the textured images above.

Also I am rather split on whether I should add thickness/ shell modifier to the lowpoly cloth, since it has transparency for the cloth cuts and holes, I am not sure if would look odd or not.

• Evren01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evren01 triangle
    I thought there are intersections with handle in yellow marked areas but when I zoomed in on that area to mark it, I realized that it was just torn cloth effect, not intersection. =) I was wrong.

Red marked areas look too wrinkled to me because we can still see sharp triangle silhouette even though normal map baked on it. But the high poly version you shared looks smoother, maybe you can consider adding more polygons to that certain areas on low poly mesh.

But as I said before it's not a big deal even if you don't. That still looks good, just you can improve it if you want.

I'll share a mini tutorial with you which contains a very nice cloth - strap effect and tricks to do it nicely. 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/A9enyW

• e_manual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @Evren01 for showing the breakdown, much appreciated!  

Yes now I see the issues regarding those sharp lowpoly points, I will give more polygon density to the crumpled areas and see if that can do the trick :)

Thanks again for the feedback!
  • e_manual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did some texture revisions, and I'm currently doing layout and lighting for the Marmoset render.

Marmoset:

Substance Painter:

• e_manual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message