Home Technical Talk

Maya2020 Selection issue

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
SpiffyMai polycounter lvl 5
At work, I've been working in a reeeeaaaally old version of Maya for a while because they hadn't gotten around to upgrading the license for me. Just this week I finally got Maya2020. At home I use the educational versions and I've used up to 2018... but it seems in 2020 that they've changed the way you select things. Used to, I was able to select something that was too close to something else by selecting it through the other object so long as I didn't touch any of its borders. 

Like so. This was totally fine. It would select the Cylinder and not the Cube. 

Now in 2020 if I do this, it selects the Cube AND the Cylinder so I'm having to do another step to deselect the square. And with a bunch of stuff in my scene it's just becoming really annoying. 

I've double checked the Selection Preferences in my settings between the older version and the new version and the only difference is the new added feature of preserving component selection. 

Old: 

New:

I thought maybe it might be the Dead Space, but the documentation on Autodesk says this: 

Select dead space
Lets you select edges and vertices when your cursor is outside of your object, in dead space, by setting a preselection tolerance. By default, Select dead space is set to 4 pixels. See Make a selection in dead space.
Tweak dead space
Lets you tweak edges and vertices when your cursor is outside of your object, in dead space, by setting a preselection tolerance. By default, Tweak dead space is set to 120 pixels.

But that says OUTSIDE the mesh. I'm more or less selecting INSIDE the mesh. 

My selection preferences in the tool preferences are exactly the same. 

I think I'm stuck with it... 

Does anyone maybe know how to turn this off? 

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which was your previous Maya version? I remember a long time ago, selections were difficult and video drivers were a constant pain in that regard. So there's a chance that the behavior you're used to was actually a bug. The only way that I'm aware of to do that selection is to be in wireframe mode; Maya won't consider the faces of anything you select there.
  • SpiffyMai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpiffyMai polycounter lvl 5
    The one at work is Maya 2013, so it's suuuper old. But I only just got Maya2020 and it was ridiculously annoying, and I worked in Maya 2014 - 2015 at school (during those years) and Maya2016 at home for years until only last year and I don't get the feeling that I experienced it then. It's hard to remember, but this is a new annoyance for me, which makes me think it might have been a 2017+ plus thing.  Oh well. Guess I'm stuck w/ it.