Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

How to model complex architecture

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi, I'm trying to model bag end interior in blender and then import it to unreal, but I'm having trouble understanding how am I supposed to model these curved walls, they should all be 1 piece but how am i supposed to achieve it, I'm talking about this https://imgur.com/a/9EPttCc

Replies

• Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    You're going to want to break that up into modular pieces rather than one whole piece. It'll make it easier to model and texture and give you more flexibility when putting it together in UE4
  • kelser1410
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah but as you see those walls are connected , the curves on the walls are supposed to connect , if I model it piece by piece am I supposed to merge them at the end then connect all those vertices together move them around until they fit together? That's what I'm confused about.
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    Those wood arches, beams, pillars, and trim pieces create the perfect places to divide up the model of the walls and ceilings. No one is going to notice a modeling seam if it's hidden by a architectural seam. As far as getting everything into place in engine, UE4 has a helpful grid snapping function you can use. Just build your meshes with grid snapping in mind, and snap your models' pivots onto the grid in Maya, Max, or Blender before exporting. Even if things don't line up perfectly in UE4, any slight error in placement will be hidden behind the arches, beams, and pillars.
    Also by working with a modular workflow, you breakdown the scene into it's smallest repeatable pieces so you only have model each thing once. That way, if you spend a little time planning ahead, you don't have to spend lots of time modeling the same things again and again, 

Here's an example of how someone can quickly put some walls floors and ceilings together with just a hand-full of modular pieces so they can spend more time on set dressing and unique assets. It's a speed'level design video just to give you an idea of the whole process. If you need more of a tutorial, there are tons out there. Just search "Modular Design UE4"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQyURLOPZr0