Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kubo fan art critique

abronee
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
abronee polycounter lvl 4
Hi everyone. I am currently doing a project where I have chosen a concept from Surendra Raiawat, a concept inspired by the stop motion Kubo and the two strings. My goal is too see how I can translate a 2d concept into 3d. I would really like to get some critique and how I could improve on the piece. This is my first ever project done in Maya, but I've learned a lot.

Fog, lanterns glow, particles, tree rim light etc. and other effects will be added in comp. The flowers in the scene is still WIP. Added the concept and my render for comparison. I have a deadline in the end of the week, so suggestions in the scope of the time left will be appreciated! 

Thanks in advance,
Andreas

Replies

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    The first image is yours and the second is the concept right?

Well to match the concept better, it looks like you just need to work on the lighting and effects a bit more. The concept has a thicker and brighter fog. The lanterns and fireflies are brighter too, lighting up the fog and causing some bloom effects. Also there is a lot more ambient/sky light brightening up the scene as a whole. Also the wood floor, the stone cubes at the base of the gate, and those other stone things all seem like they have a higher spec/gloss value in the concept. They are more polished looking and catch the specular highlights of the moon and lanterns easier.