Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Black-Suit Spiderman

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi, I am working on creating Black-Suit Spiderman for my portfolio class in college.  This thread will document my work in progress (I will update it weekly).
 I am specifically sculpting Spiderman with a physique similar to the PS4 Spiderman game.

Spiderman PS4 Physique by Xavier Coelho-Kostolny, Art Direction: Jacinda Chew, Lead Character Artist: Gavin Goulden

Progress

Day 1 of Sculpting - 1-9-2020

Blocking in the character

Day 2 of Sculpting - 1-10-2020

(Blocking in the character, worked more on the arms and legs)

Day 3 of Sculpting - 1-11-2020

(Continuing to block in the body and begin blocking in hands).

Day 4 of Sculpting - 1-12-2020

(Continuing to block in the body)

Day 5 of sculpting – 1-13-2020

(Continuing to block the body, and made Spiderman’s eyes)

Day 6 of Sculpting- 1-14-2020

(Refining muscles and smoothing bumpiness on the character)

Day 7 of Sculpting - 1-15-2020

Day 8 of Sculpting - 1-16-2020

(Working on refining the chest, hands, and overall anatomy)

(Working on detailing the hands)

Day 9 of Sculpting – 1-17-2020

(continuing to work on the musculature)

(Continuing to detail the hands and work on the shoes)

Day 10 of Sculpting – 1-18-2020

(Today I continued refine the arms, face structure, chest, clavicles, and deltoids.  Another important change is that I began thinning out the legs because I found them to be too muscular)

(Refining the arm musculature and face structure)

Day 11 of Sculpting – 1-19-2020

(Refining body continues – Legs are now longer and leaned out more).

(Hands are also getting refined)

Legs muscles have been thinned out to have a leaner, agile appeal)

Day 12 of Sculpting – 1-20-2020

Today I spent most of the day working on refining the legs, chest, clavicles, and experimenting with altering the shape of the head/eyes but reverted back to how it was (since I did not like the way it looked when I tried something else).   Later at night I began masking out the symbiote symbol.

Close up of the symbiote symbol

(Refining the legs) 

Day 13 of Sculpting – 1-22-2020

Today I worked on the legs and feet more.  I am arching the shoes a bit more and am trying to improve the anatomy.  I have now begun two other classes in school so I unfortunately have to divide my work hours to all three classes (so no more working on Spiderman all day).

Day 14 of Sculpting - 1-23-2020

Continuing to work on the legs and feet

Day 15 of Sculpting – 1-24-2020

Back of the arms

Continuing to work on the legs – I smoothed out the muscles and arched the feet

Day 16 of Sculpting – 1-28-2020

I finalized the edges of the symbiote logo before extracting

Day 17 of Sculpting – 1-29-2020

Today I continued to refine Spiderman’s anatomy by rounding out the deltoids, adjusting the abdominal muscles, and refining the back muscles.

Day 18 of Sculpting - 1-30-2020 

Today I finalized the symbiote logo and extracted the mask out.  I continued to refine the overall anatomy (legs, chest, back, and shoulders).  Additionally,  I began doing some priliminary polypaint.

Close up of the symbiote logo

Close up of the symbiote logo

Back view of the symbiote logo

Day 19 – February 5th, 2020

Texturing

Back view of updated textures

Close up of textures

Day 20 of Sculpting – February 6th, 2020

Today I worked on polishing the hands, legs, and feet

Close up of feet

Day 21 of Sculpting – February 12th, 2020

Today I worked on adjusting Spiderman’s hands.  I focused on elongating the fingers (to give them a less stubby look), and overall tried to improve the anatomy.  I also worked on texturing the body, and Spidey has his web shooter’s on top of his hands now.  

Close up of Spiderman

Close up of hands

Close up of textured hand with web-shooter

Day 22 – February 13th, 2020

Turn-around of Spiderman’s hand painted textures

Close up - Front

Close up – Back

Updated hand textures

Day 23 - February 14th, 2020 

Continuing to finalize the polypaint textures

Day 24 – February 15th, 2020

Continuing to finalize the polypaint textures

Begin Retopologizing

Day 25 – February 16th, 2020

Finalized Polypaint

Close up – Quarter shot

Close up - Back

Retopologized more - legs and feet are done, polish required

Day 26 – February 17th, 2020

Finished retopology, 

UV’s done

Day 27 – February 18th, 2020

Polypaint textures projected on to low poly model in Maya.  The next step is to enhance the Polypaint texture in Substance Painter.

Texturing in Substance

Day 28 – February 19th, 2020

Today I spent more time texturing in substance and also fixed topology that needed adjustments.

This was a problem I encountered, and I found a fix for it.  The Normal map’s setting was set to “auto” by default, and texture seams were visible with the normal map.  Changing the normal map’s settings to “sRGB” got rid of the seams.

Day 29-34 – February 20th – 24th, 2020

The character’s topology is finalized, substance painter textures are complete, and is in Unreal with an idle, walking, running, and jumping animation.  All that is left to do is finish my platform for the turntable

Day 35-38 – February 25th – 27th, 2020

Finished 3D Character model for Black-Suit Spiderman in Unreal

Close up shot of finished 3D Character model for Black-Suit Spiderman in Unreal

Programs I am using for this project – 

Zbrush

Maya

Adobe Photoshop

Substance Painter

Unreal Engine

Adobe After Effects

Replies

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Nice stuff.
    The legs look a little thick on the 45 deg view. The foot shape looks a little odd (no inner arches and foot profile quite flat). Thigh muscles look a bit weird and the amount of detail trails off from knee to foot and from knee to groin. The leg shape looks a bit off.
  • BrantAugust
    kanga said:
    Nice stuff.
    The legs look a little thick on the 45 deg view. The foot shape looks a little odd (no inner arches and foot profile quite flat). Thigh muscles look a bit weird and the amount of detail trails off from knee to foot and from knee to groin. The leg shape looks a bit off.
    @kanga .  I agree with you, the feet need to be arched and less flat.   I must ask, what part of the thigh muscles look weird?  
    Thank you
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Ak! Site went offline yesterday.
    What looks a little weird to me is the anatomy looks like its drawn on as opposed to actual mass. Here is a leg shot example. Daz3D is a great ref. This is just the legs but you could use it for the rest of yr character as well.

Cheerio.
  • BrantAugust
    kanga said:
    Ak! Site went offline yesterday.
    What looks a little weird to me is the anatomy looks like its drawn on as opposed to actual mass. Here is a leg shot example. Daz3D is a great ref. This is just the legs but you could use it for the rest of yr character as well.

Cheerio.
    Yes, I agree...  I totally understand what you're saying.  I'm going to continue working on the legs and hopefully they'll get better.

If I were going for the comic book version, the muscles would pop out more for sure. However, the ps4 has the muscles not as visible/defined through the suit. The figure for ps4 spiderman has defined muscles, but once you throw the suit on, you lose some of that definition. I'm just going to continue working and hopeully in the end it tursn out nicely +1:

• BrantAugust
    Adding more updates to the main post now... I will continue to update the thread as I work on Spiderman :).
  • BrantAugust
    Added more updates on the main post.  This week I worked on refining the muscles, extracted the symbiote logo, and began polypainting
  • BrantAugust
    Updated post with new pictures of finalizing the sculpt and texturing
  • BrantAugust
    Trying to update the post with this week's work, however there must be a limit to the amount of pictures allowed on a post? It's not letting me upload more. 

Edit - The issue was the images I were trying to upload were too high res.  I lowered the resolution and it worked.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Post each update in its own reply. No one has the patience to look through all that. 

Reply each time you have something substantial for us to review. Not every little tiny edit.

Use JPG format, not PNG, and limit resolution to under 2k. 
  • BrantAugust
    Post each update in its own reply. No one has the patience to look through all that. 

Reply each time you have something substantial for us to review. Not every little tiny edit.

Use

Use JPG format, not PNG, and limit resolution to under 2k. 

JPG format, not PNG, and limit resolution to under 2k. 
    The issue was resolution, lowering it worked.  As far as my posts, I am doing what my teacher requested.  We are documenting all our work everyday working on this project in a PDF which we then turn in weekly.  He also told us to post our PDF on polycount.  I realize the attention span of most people would not want to look through all of this, but for any Spiderman super fan or curious viewer, it is cool to see it all come together in my opinion.