Home Technical Talk

[Maya] skin wrap modifier from 3dsmax to maya - similar process ?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
mihail.lupu polycounter lvl 11
Does anyone know a way to achieve something like Skinwrap modifier function from 3ds max inside of Maya? 
I need in Maya to "skinwrap" some belts, saddle holsters, etc to the character body - then to convert, somehow this assets to skin.

I am pretty new to Maya, i am a native max user.

Thanks in advance!
ML.

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    There's a wrap deformer that works similar to the Skin Wrap modifier, I believe you can have multiple of these to get the functionality from Max where it lets you select multiple influences.

No idea if it can be converted to skinning, perhaps if you're lucky. But standard procedure with Maya is to first: (unsuccessfully) look for a script, second (inevitable step): post a job ad for a TD. :) 

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Just found this: https://polycount.com/discussion/37382/maya-wrapdeform-to-skin to prove my point. Sadly, I don't think I have the script anymore. But, perhaps there's now a builtin way? :)

• mihail.lupu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, thanks. Sadly, the script isn't up anymore. On the other hand, i can't believe maya doesn't have this kind of tool builtin. The main idea is I have to export the final mesh to a game engine, so it has to be skinned. Wrap deformer will work only inside of maya. 
    Maybe there is someone else how can share another technique for this kind of task.
    Thanks thomasp!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Ha! Here's to keeping a searchable catalog of ancient compressed backups: https://pastebin.com/U3U3MG8K

I don't have Maya installed though - no way for me to confirm if this (still) works.

• mihail.lupu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great! Thanks ! I will try it!
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I'm also a max user. Copy Skin Weights can transfer weighting from one model to another, but there is no middle step where you can edit like with Skin Wrap.

https://youtu.be/23jF5Cm2_g4
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I used 3dsmax and now use Maya. I tend to stay away from the wrap deformer method in maya even though it's close enough, and stick to copy skinweights there are a few options in there that you'll want to play around with.

In general I stick to closest point on surface and closest joint. UV isn't a bad option if the UV's match but things that overlap usually don't weight correctly and uv stretching can really screw with the weights also.

You can also export skin weights (Deform > Export/Import Weights) which will export texture files with weights for each bone which is similar to copy by UV but you don't need to have a mesh to copy from. This is good if you have one mesh and need several different weight sets. Or if all of the models share a UV layout and you just want to bind the skin and load weights rather than import the new mesh into an old scene just to copy the weights. Bind, Import, Go.

• mihail.lupu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great! Thanks for all the info, guys! Copy Skin Weights did a great job.
    M.