Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Some quick things I can do to improve this environment?

NeonGold
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
NeonGold polycounter lvl 5
Hey Polycount!

I've been picking away at my portfolio for a while now between projects and an opportunity for a Junior Enviro Artist position has come up that I really want to apply for - and I've been told that I need to apply by Friday. That being said, my portfolio is far from ready. I'm frantically trying to get another environment finished, but I also have this old one on the back-burner that is only at about 70% completion. Does anyone have any 'bang for your buck' tips that I could do here to bring it up a level in a short amount of time? I'm sure the lighting could use a ton of work, but I really struggle in that area so any tips there would also be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Look up vertex painting for walls and ground, that will make a big difference alone
    rest is composition. The wierd thing looks out of place, like someone just put something super special in some ordinary side hall
  • NeonGold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NeonGold polycounter lvl 5
    Shrike said:
    Look up vertex painting for walls and ground, that will make a big difference alone
    rest is composition. The wierd thing looks out of place, like someone just put something super special in some ordinary side hall
    Ah yes, that's a good idea! It's supposed to look a lot colder than it currently does, so maybe some frost on the ground?

As for the crystal thing, that's been one of my biggest struggles with this piece - it's supposed to look out of place as if the people who own the warehouse are working with a piece of technology that is well above their pay-grade and understanding, but I'm having trouble bringing that narrative out. Totally agree that the composition is not selling that at the moment.
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Decals, vertex painting, post processing. Labels/symbols on the tanks and the cold thing to symbolize cold so whatever it is people can understand its supposed to be cold. Also make a focal point with the lighting, currently the lighting in there is pretty regular across the whole composition.