Offline / Send Message
Gikkio polycounter lvl 8
Hi ! 
I create a new PC. 

msi z390 a pro 
gigabyte GTX 1660 super 
16 GB ram. 
I5 9400F

In substance Painter i have active the buttons IRAY HARDWARE: CPU and GPU. But when i go in rendering mode iray (f8) if i see the ACTIVITY in windows 10, RAM and CPU go high 70-80 % but GPU is at 0% . 
remains at 0% any work I do in substance painter. although the work is very large, the GPU does not work.
I have NO other GPUs in the pc, neither onboard nor additional. the GPU works correctly in all programs and games.
I have already fixed the registry by adding the keys to edit the TDR values of the Registry

Any idea? TY

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    If Painter works at all, then the GPU is definitely used properly, since every action in Painter is performed on the GPU.
    Iray can fallback on the CPU if it tries to load a scene that can't fit in your video ram though, so that could be the issue. How's the rendering speed in Iray? If it's on the CPU fallback, it would be noticeably extremely slow to render.
  • Gikkio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gikkio polycounter lvl 8
    Jerc said:
    If Painter works at all, then the GPU is definitely used properly, since every action in Painter is performed on the GPU.
    Iray can fallback on the CPU if it tries to load a scene that can't fit in your video ram though, so that could be the issue. How's the rendering speed in Iray? If it's on the CPU fallback, it would be noticeably extremely slow to render.

RAM go up to 90% the speed of render si very very slow for 350 samples Slow to open the scene. In viewport i can work fine, but the rendere is absolutely slow, and i can't change the view in render mode because is very LAG. 
    The scene is a city DIORAMA many  TEXTURE SET (but not too big, 10 or 12 2k texture the other 512 for little objects, in blender i don't have problem) many texture 2k max. 

EDIT: i try with my another OBJECT. SAME . GPU go 7% and then go to 0%. 

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    In your screenshot, the max render time is set to 10s, that's probably why your GPU goes back to 0, but you got 114 iterations in 10s, so the GPU is definitely used. For the larger scene it's hard to say without seeing a log file.
  • Gikkio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gikkio polycounter lvl 8
    Jerc said:
    In your screenshot, the max render time is set to 10s, that's probably why your GPU goes back to 0, but you got 114 iterations in 10s, so the GPU is definitely used. For the larger scene it's hard to say without seeing a log file.
    I'm not sure those iterations can't be done by the CPU or RAM? B Because I uploaded the model just for testing, and I hadn't even started the paint.
    Here the image on a big scene. Also here, 1.00 minute of render, and the usage of GPU is 0% . But we have 246 iteration calcolated in 1.00 minute. Is impossible because the GPU render is more fast i think? i don't known. 

• Gikkio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gikkio polycounter lvl 8
    I see the solution. 
    going forward with the render I noticed that the iterations went too fast, you were right.
    I asked myself.....What if the data I see on monitor is not real?
    I used another TOOL (CPUID) for monitoring the GPU.
    The load is FULL! memory, buffer is all full so the GPU work. Is the WIN 10 tool that doesn't show what I should see. :angry:
    Thank you so much for your help.

however the scene is strangely too heavy. There are no height maps or normal maps, it's  only color maps. Only the buildings are in 2048, everything else is under 1000(many 512 size map), yet the work is very heavy. Blender instead renders it in a few minutes.

Ho 
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Substance Painter needs a lot more vram than when Blender simply renders because of all the layers, bakes, etc. That probably explains why you can render in Blender but not in Painter.
  • Gikkio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gikkio polycounter lvl 8
    Yes probabily.
    Very ty Jerc for your help. Have a nice day.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    BTW, in my experience to see GPU load in that windows task manager  you have to  click on those small V  next to "3d"  or "Video encode"  and choose "Compute_0"  or something.  Then you would see actual graph
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Jerc said:
    I have GPU only set and CPU disabled, but it's showing 100% CPU in task manager and 0% GPU, even though it's only using 5.9 out of 8 gigs dedicated Vram. Is there a CPU fallback threshold? I'm rendering on an RTX 2080. Thanks.

EDIT: just checked my log and somehow I set displacement subdivs to 32(slider maximum) and it crashed the GPU and fellback on CPU.