Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Graveyard challenge CG Boost - Burning forest

triangle
Offline / Send Message
AdrianZaplata triangle
Hey folks.
I've decided to participate in the Graveyard Challenge hosted by CG Boost.
https://cgboost.com/graveyard-challenge

I didn't wanted to create a normal graveyard, but to bring it to the next level and be creative. Recent fire in Australia and the pricture below inspired me to make a scene of burning forest. My thoughs of this project are that burned forest is like a graveyard for many animals that died in the fire. The pricture shows a single tree waiting for the fire to burn it - this will be the graveyard of this tree. This is my interpretation of the challenge topic. 

Lastly I'm also in to stylized art and I want to improve in this field, that's why I'll be making this scene more stylized/hand-painted. I'm still on the way of figuring the stylized workflow. I'm mainly confused what textures should I use, but in this project I've decided to go with only diffuse hand-painted textures without any normal maps (unless I'll change it later on).

I'm open for any critiques or help from you side :) 
Thank you,
Adi

Here's the image I waas inspired by. If I'm not wrong the pricure was taken by Mats Petersson.

Replies

• AdrianZaplata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdrianZaplata triangle
    I've made a list of assets, textures and post effects that I'll need to finish this project and also a block-out of the scene Blender. I'll be moving to Unreal Engine next and start with the assets.

• AdrianZaplata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdrianZaplata triangle
    I've noticed I'll not have enough time to make it as good as I wanted, because of other projects I'm making, but I still want to finish it. It'll be my first hand painted stylized environment and first Unreal Engine project. 

Here's some of my progression. 2 days left...

Scene preview in Unreal Engine.

I've made my first 3 hand painted tilable textures in Photoshop.
    Forest ground (moss).

Burned forest ground.

Bark texture.

Keep going.