Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dune Ornithopter

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
LoganFeliciano greentooth
Happy New Year everyone. Here are the first images of 2020 for me. This was an exploration of some new workflows and processes, so I wanted to revolve that around a project I thought would be fun. This is a continuation of the Dune series and my take on the Ornithopters.

Ornithopters, also commonly referred to as 'thopters, were the most common small transport vessels in the Imperium. These ships were capable of carrying 6 passengers, 9 if the back seats were removed.

Most 'thopters were winged vessels that were capable of flight through jet propulsion, as well as by mimicking the movements of birds. While the jets were the primary propulsion system, the wings assisted in maintaining altitude, as well as maneuvered the vessels.

This was a fun project to practice workflows, combining 2D and 3D techniques.

Thank you very much for checking out.

Replies

• bystry
    Offline / Send Message
    bystry polycounter lvl 3
    Very nice designs! Good job!
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Wasn't the line about 6 passengers specifically about the Duke's thopter during that desert rescue and it was considered a superior machine to the rest of his squad?

Anyway, I like design #3 the best - if the wings can retract (I believe that was mentioned in the book) then its practical-looking yet 'dune-ish'. In my opinion it should be smaller though, helicopter-sized. I'd think about military applications and parking space required. Not some fragile looking mechanical bird with the wingspan of a commercial jet.

Sorry for going nerd. :) I read Dune first as a 10 year old (way over my head) and have been repeating the exercise many times since. Looking forward to seeing the designs of the upcoming movie...

• LoganFeliciano
    Offline / Send Message
    LoganFeliciano greentooth
    @thomasp That's totally fair. Usually, I push the contrast for more epicness, but this thopter is much more the size of a helicopter. Thanks so much.
  • MarkusB
    Offline / Send Message
    MarkusB triangle
    Great choice with the final design. Really diggin it!
  • leopoldsv
    I'm 12 and already halfway through the book (thomasp i wanted to read the book at 10 so your were not over your head) so these designs are very new to me and i find them so amazing.
    I prefer the first design because I'm using the first one for a class project (please don't copyright me thank you) and I have to draw and label it and its very well imagined