Home Marmoset

Achieve a smooth displacement, is it possible ?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
Hi, i wanted to ask if is it possible to make the side faces and borders of a displaced mesh ( plane ) smooth like in Arnold or another offline renderer.

Here is what i mean:

Arnold:

Marmoset:

Marmoset material settings:

The displacement is a 8k seamless texture at 32 bit in PNG. Normal Map the same.

The plane has over 1.5 milion tris and in Arnold i used 2 additional catmull-clark subdivisions at render time+autobump. HDRI is the same.

I really never used displacement maps so maybe it's a noob question but is this a limit of real time displacement rendering ? I didn't try it in UE4.

And another question. I also tried using the displacement on a cylinder but the mesh seems to "explode" if i scale the height too much while in Arnold it works fine. What may be the cause ?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are some limitations to the way polygons sub-divide in Toolbag, we're using the GPU-provided technique which can result in some irregular sub-division patterns, which can make it a little difficult to get very clean and precise results in this sort of case. This is something we plan to improve in a future release though.

For now, you can try sub-dividing your mesh again, this should allow you to get finer sub-division.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    There are some limitations to the way polygons sub-divide in Toolbag, we're using the GPU-provided technique which can result in some irregular sub-division patterns, which can make it a little difficult to get very clean and precise results in this sort of case. This is something we plan to improve in a future release though.

For now, you can try sub-dividing your mesh again, this should allow you to get finer sub-division.
    I see, thanks.