Home Technical Talk

Best 3D program for industrial design animations?

OK so I use Rhino3D with V-Ray for industrial design and I can render pretty simple animations like turntable animations and fly-bys. But I am very limited in what I can do. I cant make wheels spin, or panels flying off. I cant make screws spiraling out or like a bottle splashing in water.. liquid coming out of a nozzle. I don't care about any sort of character rigging or video game scenery.. its not my thing. Im more into industrial design.

What program would you recommend? I tried Cinema4D but it seemed so unintuitive coming from Rhino. I heard Modo is easier than Maya... But Maya is very popular... 

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Maya is the industry standard for animation.
    Last I checked, Modo isn't really used for animation much.
  • kanga
    Online / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Yeah what PolyHertz said. 
    Maya is the big guy when it comes to character animation. What will be important to you is what you want to use the animations for and how big your budget is. C4D has a great rep for motion graphics and I taught it for years at a local college, but couldn't get used to it. Coming from 3DSMax, C4D was just too alien to me.

These days I use Blender. If you come from a spline base like Rino, in the beginning poly modelling will seem weird. If you just need an app to spit out an end product, and you don't have to worry about format comparability (although you can export/import in a fairly wide range of formats) then Blender will do just fine. Blender also has a movie editor built in. Blender is free to use, has a great support community and all the info you need on the web to get up and running.

Have fun!