Home Technical Talk

[3DS Max/pop'n'fresh/Q3]Tags won't export animated when using Skin/Physique

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Bort polycounter lvl 18
ello,
(Using Max 2010 and the latest Pop 'n' fresh 2.3)
Currently making a Q3 player model and have hit a snag with the tags not exporting out animated when they are attached via skin or physique (the actual mesh exports animated without issue). They animate fine in max but when exported they are static and located where the pivot point is for the objects in max.

I've done test exports to Q3 and the head and torso rotate where the tags are and the weapon shows up where the tag is

I've tried everything that I can think of but the only way I can get them to export animated is to not have them attached to anything and hand animated via move and rotate.

Hopefully it's something easy that I've forgotten about in the past fifteen years.

edit,
Found a solution. Instead of using Skin or Physique I connect the tag to the desired bone via link constraint.
No idea why the other two modifiers aren't working. I exported the tags as mesh objects and they animated without issue. NPherno's compiler lets you set an object as a tag but unfortunately Quake 3 doesn't recognized them. le poop.

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    The tag needs it's object pivot moving. Skin and Physique animate the geometry, but leave the pivot in place.
    Think of the tag more like a bone than geometry.
  • Bort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bort polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers.

I was going off memory and the max files Steed released. Guess q3data handles things differently due to everything being squished down to .ase. Only lost a days progress on that one, not too bad.

Everything is going swimmingly now, well, apart from my terrible animations. :#