Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] X-23 (3D Character Art) - Looking for critique

HorizonWave
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
HorizonWave polycounter lvl 2
Hello all! I really would like to get good at character modeling for AAA games and wanted to work on a project of a character I thought was cool so I picked X-23. Im still learning and reading as many tutorials as I can. If you have comments or critique, I'm all ears!
Thanks!

X-23 Reference 

My Zbrush Sketch of X-23's body 

Zbrush Sketch of X-23's Head
I'm super excited to move forward with this sculpt, but I would like some critique telling me what I should improve on.

Replies

• HorizonWave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • oreoorbitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oreoorbitz polycounter lvl 9
    Good start man, I don't have much time, but I'll  try to be as helpfull as possible, i'll focus on my strong point, which is the head.

Personally, for a good head, I think they're 5 main points.
    Proportions
    Boney landmarks
    Fatty forms
    Features
    Underlying muscles

start with proportions.

Paint over bellow, I only did the front view because I don't have time to do the paint over in the other perspectives.

So if you break up the vertical proportion of the head in head in 4 chunks, the second chunk from the bottom is usually the distance from the bottom of the nose to the top of the to the top of the brow. On your the top line of the second chunk lines up with the center of the eye, so I brought down the eye, keeping the height of the eye the same, but reducing the height of the cheek.
    I then reduce the height of the head a bit to make sure its proportions are standard.

Next is the ears, traditionally ears on a young person( they get bigger as you age) are from the bottom of the nose to the top of the brow.

Then I checked the vertical proportions of the lips, traditionally the corners of the lip line up with the center of your cornea, and the inner corner of the eye lines of with the sides of the nostril, so I moved the eyes in more towards the center, and pulled the lips out just a little bit.
    Lastly, I widen the tip of her chin a bit

If you want to really work on your proportions. You can use this image by Avard Fairbanks

So to use these measurements, place your transpose tool on a vertical chunk of the face your happy with, bottom of chin and bottom of nose for example, and go to preferences > transpose units in zbrush, and play with the Distance Units Scale Factor slider till the chunk you select has a measurement of 5.7, then you can check every other measurement.
    This is good for practicing proportions, BUT, do not become a slave to proportions, especially to a chart by a white guy who is an expert on sculpting white people and when you're doing stylized characters.

So that's it for proportions, as for the other points I mentioned, I don't really have time for that, but I think proportions is a good place to start.
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Good stuff I like all the movement movement/rhythm of the body and legs but arms are as stiff as they can be would you do me a favor and fix them
    Also please get a skull , head is not a brick its round , check your own forehead if you dont believe me 

• HorizonWave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, @oreoorbitz ! I fixed some of the measurements on the face such as the basic proportions, ear, chin, and nose size. Also the Roundness of her head and brow. Let me know if I need to fix more on her face, or anything else.

Thanks alot @carvuliero ! I did my best to fix the stiffness of the arms and also increased the length of the arms and size of the hands along with other fixed based on your critique. Let me know if I still need to fix the arms or anything else!

I also decided to add clothing to the model to push me closer to the final result. Still alot of work to do!

If any of the clothes look weird please let me know!
    Some detailed shots: 

Also A or B?

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    I would suggest something more natural check the image > see how arm changes direction at ever joint ?
    Her metal things can still be straight but fingers can have their own gesture line
    Shoulder doesnt look very good - check one more time clavicle head and acromion process also planes of the deltoid