Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: silentheart00

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
silentheart00 polycounter lvl 3
Hi everyone!  New to polycount but not new to modeling and sketching.  I heard this is a great place to be, so I figured I'd hop in.

Currently, I'm studying to be a game artist, so any resources/critiques/experiences you can give I will greatly appreciate.  I love making characters, so I'm gearing myself towards that even though I am aware someone must be exceptional to stand out for characters.  I gotta try.

Any critiques are always welcomed.

Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/silentheart00
Sketchfab: https://sketchfab.com/silentheart00
CGCookie: https://cgcookie.com/u/silentheart00

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Embed some art! Post your works in progress!
  • silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

This was our final in my hardsurface class, a Vespa!  The budget was originally 18k-20k triangles, but the professor increased it to 35k.  However, I had already moved on to the UV unwrapping stage, sooo...  This is it, heh. 

Things I would like to have done differently:

• Used some more of the new budget towards the bolt geometry and not have those items baked.
    • A better understanding of what maps to bake out to get a closer result from materials.
    • More guidance on what details are best for a normal map and what is best for actual geometry.
  • silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

Modelling a 2014 Ford Mustang as a way to practice using 3Ds Max.  I prefer Blender, but my coursework requires I use 3Ds Max, so might as well brush up.
  • silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I forgot for my character class we made Mr. Freeze.

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message
    For this new assignment, we're suppose to retopologize this mouth and the head of our Mr. Freeze sculpts.  The more I dug into the mouth retopo, the more I realized there was no way I could get both done in a week with my other classes demanding my attention.  The professor didn't talk much about retopoing for game-ready assets in class, so I'm wondering if I'm headed in the right direction or not, added too much detail already, or just some general guidelines on where to head next.  My gut is telling me I can have less detail in the teeth, but I still want to get a round enough shape for bakes and stuff.  Any advice is welcome.  Thanks!

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a couple guitars, one black and white and one variant.  The maps were hand painted, save for the AO.  Wish I had a little more time to polish it up, but it is what it is.  Critiques are welcomed.

Black and White

Variant
  • silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

Phew!  Got some time to work on personal projects now.  Been trying to understand anatomy more, but it doesn't come up a lot in my studies (just a lot of hardsurface), so there are things I know I can improve.  Here's a rough proxy of my current DND character, Kaeria.

I'm pushing towards realism, so let me know where I can improve!

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

Here's a concept for a mask.  There are a lot of details I'm thinking of putting in the model, but this is the general idea.  This is a texture heavy assignment, so some minimal modeling and lots of texture work.

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message
    Creating a mindlfayer.

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message
    I am pretty happy with this, maybe could possibly push it a little more (like adding a different texture to the smooth sections so it's not as smooth) but I can live with this. On to the next part!

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message
    More work on the mind flayer.  Getting closer.  Figuring out how to model the armor has been interesting, trying to figure out how to mesh the hardsurface techniques with the organic sculpting.  I think I have an idea, just hope it doesn't take me much longer.

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, been working on another character named Chrysosandalaimopotichthonia or Sandal for short.  She comes from a family where necromancy and blood magic is common and part of the culture, so I'm creating her in 3D.
    Rough concept:

Current progress.  I will admit I used the default female body in Zbrush because I wanted to focus more on creating the outfit.  I did adjust the face slightly, but again, was focused more on creating the outfit.

And progress on the headdress.  I am happy with the arrangement of the flowers.  My next step is adding in the crystals and that should be it for the headdress.

Critiques/feedback is appreciated.
  • silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message
    Refined a few more things.  Need to add the lacing on the top and boots, add the stiletto nails, and figure out the clothing.  Oh, and the hair lol.

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

Okay, experimenting with hair card workflow.  I do like the ponytail coming together, not quite sure how I feel about the pulled up hair texture.  Could probably do it better.  I'm not sure how worried about it I should be with the headdress covering most of the roots, but there is the front portion that's a concern.  I'll give it a think.

Feedback is appreciated.

Also probably not a good idea to add hair right now as I haven't retopologized the body yet.  But!  Experimentation is important.
  • silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message
    Redoing the hair.  I think it looks a hell of a lot better this time around.

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

Alright, finished the hair!  Pretty happy about it this time around.  Much better attempt.

And with everything else.

Now, to get the belt, skirt, and flowy cloth bits.

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

So, I realized the sleeves are blocking all the detail as I planned for the sleeves to be opaque, so I may scrap those.  But!  I learned a way to create cloth in Zbrush, so not completely lost lol

• rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    If you plan for realistic proportions (which most of the body has) then you might want to check the feet, they are bit tiny atm.
    I like the design ideas!
  • silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, @rollin .  Taking a step back, I agree the feet are a little small.  I will fix that.
  • silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost there.  Darn skirt is giving me trouble.  I just can't seem to find a method that works and a shape that looks nice.  More thinking to be done.  And more feet to adjust lol.

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

Finally figured out the skirt situation and adjusted the feet.  Alright, I am done with modeling.  Now to retopologize and texture!

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

Phew, been a while. I hope everyone had a nice break!

Still working on retopology. Really enjoying Retopoflow, an addon for Blender. It helps speed things up a lot!

I believe it's just this slip thing and the skirt left to retopologize. Almost there.

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

Alright! Finished retopologizing Sandal (minus the teeth about mouth bag because I completely forgot those are things I need to add, heh.) Also pretty sure I can take out some polys from the skirt, but I'm a bit tuckered out from today.

It took me so long to figure out a retopology workflow for the skirt because doing all of that by hand was rough. Zbrush was giving me funky results, mostly the edge flow would become super wonky and just caused more problems than results. I probably spent the most time on this section, maybe redoing it 4 times-ish? I lost count lol. But, through trial and error and a good chunk of research, I found a solution that was way easier than anything I've tried before! And gave good results! Phew, it was a long road, but success!

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

Hey everyone, sorry for being quiet. Ran into quite a few snags while unwrapping and phew, did that take time! But I got through it and now am on a first pass of texturing.

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

Laying down a first pass of textures, getting things figured out.

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

Been toiling away at the textures, but I think I've come to the point where I need to put the double-sided and transparent elements in. Let's go!

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

I am so excited to finally enact the ideas I've had in my head for a while now with the overcoat. When researching different animals, flowers, and minerals that signified or were connected to death, dragonflies caught my eye. They represent a visit from a deceased person, good luck, change and transformation, which I thought was very fitting for Sandal and the culture she was raised in.

Even though this is still a work in progress, I am so excited to see the beginning of something very cool.

This is me attempting to replicated metallic embroidery on a sheer fabric. Not sure how successful it is, could definitely use some refinement, but I'm taking a short break on this to come back with clearer eyes. Still plenty of other things to texture. Advice is appreciated!

• Minyi
    Offline / Send Message
    Minyi polycounter lvl 4

Sorry seems Polycount can be a tough crowd.

The designs look cool, but the material seems a bit too costume-y/stylised at the moment that contrasts the realistic proportions of the person. Unless that is the direction you are intending.

Do you have a reference board for the kinds of materials you want to use? It's hard to see the end goal from your initial concept sketch alone and it might help ground the vision if you have a ref sheet with textures and the general vibe.

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

Hi @Minyi . Apologies for the late reply, I didn't notice it until now.

Yes, I do have references for the materials I'm replicating.

The inner wing portions is the top row, which I believe is pearlized organza. The vein portions I'm trying to replicate metal thread embroidered into the organza.

Then the dark magenta pieces are leather, dark blue pieces are satin, and the light blue should be cotton/linen.

The dress skirt is based off of this reference, but I didn't like how the more poofy version looked, so I slimmed it down:

but the material seems a bit too costume-y/stylised at the moment that contrasts the realistic proportions of the person.

Could you clarify what you mean by this? Is it stylized in the sense of the colors or proportions or something else?

Thank you.

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

It's been a while since I posted, so thank you for your patience.

Lots of things added since my last update.

Textured the flowers and minerals of the headband. I am personally pretty proud of the stargazer lily; it looks just like one!

And how it looks all together.

Once I felt the textures were good enough, I went back to Zbrush and put Sandal into a pose using the Transpose Master plugin. This was so much easier to use than to try and build a whole rig for something quick. Then I used the cloth brushes to move around the overcoat, skirt, and hair. I used the cloth brushes (mainly cloth pull) so I wouldn't distort too much and lose too much shape.

And then I'm experimenting with lighting setups and different viewing angles in Unreal Engine 4 as well as tweaking materials. For the wings, I'm figuring out how to make the highlights look like they're reflecting a different color like in this reference of pearlized organza (source https://bentextiles.com/media/catalog/large/iridescent-pearl-organza/white.jpg).

My gut instinct is the fresnel node in Unreal, but the way it's currently set up is not producing the results I'm looking for, so a rethink is in order. I'm sure I'll get it eventually, just need a think.

Now this is just the extra cherry on top, but maybe I could sneak in a dagger in her open hand to the side for that extra personality and flair. We'll see.

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

It's been a while since I posted, so thank you for your patience.

Lots of things added since my last update.

Textured the flowers and minerals of the headband. I am personally pretty proud of the stargazer lily; it looks just like one!

And how it looks all together.

Once I felt the textures were good enough, I went back to Zbrush and put Sandal into a pose using the Transpose Master plugin. This was so much easier to use than to try and build a whole rig for something quick. Then I used the cloth brushes to move around the overcoat, skirt, and hair. I used the cloth brushes (mainly cloth pull) so I wouldn't distort too much and lose too much shape.

And then I'm experimenting with lighting setups and different viewing angles in Unreal Engine 4 as well as tweaking materials. For the wings, I'm figuring out how to make the highlights look like they're reflecting a different color like in this reference of pearlized organza (source https://bentextiles.com/media/catalog/large/iridescent-pearl-organza/white.jpg).

My gut instinct is the fresnel node in Unreal, but the way it's currently set up is not producing the results I'm looking for, so a rethink is in order. I'm sure I'll get it eventually, just need a think.

Now this is just the extra cherry on top, but maybe I could sneak in a dagger in her open hand to the side for that extra personality and flair. We'll see.

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

I finished Chrysosanalaimopotichthonia. More info here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/eJ9rrb

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

Been a while. I went back and relit my old projects after a crash course on lighting with a friend and they look much better.

Otherwise, going back to an old project and redoing the textures. I'm pushing myself really hard to get the textures to read properly, analyzing all the source images and everything. But it's looking really, really good so far.

Still, more to go! Let's go!

• killnpc
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

great studies, good work.

what i'm seeing is that you're jumping into detail prematurely which causes you a lot of heavy lifting in the long run.

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

@killnpc Hi and thanks for the feedback!

Could you explain more in depth in regards to "jumping into detail prematurely which causes you a lot of heavy lifting in the long run"? I am not sure what you mean by this.

• killnpc
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

sure, so you're probably familiar with a fundamental concept in art often expressed as "mama, papa, baby", a general concept which expresses how best to package together and build up forms, from large to small.

mid-level forms connect forms together in a visually descriptive and functional way.

the best example i can think of might be the muscles that flex the elbow, like the brachioradialis, which stretches over the joint, tucking into the larger upper and forearm forms, the wrap and bulge shape of this muscle functionally describes not only its mass but the angle and tension being applied through and around it.

these mid-level forms girdle forms together and are awesomely powerful. adding smaller detail too soon can concealed these forms from you AND make it more difficult to develop or rework them. making efforts in pulling out more of these forms i think will enhance your work.

i hope that makes sense and will be helpful in your studies.

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

Yes, that does make sense! I see what you mean now. Thank you for the helpful feedback!

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

Hi everyone, hope you're having a manageable day!

A small update, just a small pass over breaking up the repeating textures, dialing in the look more. Trying to vary the roughness across the model more, too. Definitely working on aging things more, want to add more things like dirt and ripping up the cloak more. Hopefully I can wrap this up soon and head into a new project. Need to put this in the engine soon to see how well the textures are translating.

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

Hi everyone, hope you're having a manageable day and week.

So, for this, I'm layering in some rust in places, still have more places to go. Is it too much? Maybe, but I can always scale that back. I also took a first stab at the scar tissue across the right eye and the tip of the tentacle. It is surprisingly difficult to find references of scar tissue on a cephalopod because they regenerate. So, this is my best guess so far. They also have copper-based blood, so their blood is blue! Pretty neat! I also did a first pass of subsurface scattering maps so it's not just an equal spread across the whole model. Lots to hammer out, but one step at a time.

• Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Hi! Very cool project!

Here are some points I you could consider (if you don't already):

• More subtle color variations and gradients so the surfaces look less flat. Think about color zones for skin and with cloth dirt/moisture will soak in from the edges. Maybe the clothes are made from slightly different colored fabrics. Plus some wear and tear of course.
    • Metallic material doesn't look convincing yet (bracelets have quite the plastic look). Here you could inspect the values of an metal material or use one as a base.
    • Ensure the dirt/wear layers match the surface it's applied to. I think the rust as it's applied to the cloth is bit strange. It's good to have some reference images on the side.
    • The details on the border look a bit flat. Here you could use several layers to make the fabrics beneath the stitches/brackets look compressed (anchor points are useful, if you don't use them already). And the stitches/brackets miss the dirt/wear treatment.
    • When the resolution is to low for some prominent parts, I'd say it's possible to give them more UV space. One could also add some trims and details to the texture atlas, to easily add additional detail with sufficient resolution (buttons, bolts, trims for cloth borders, belts, ropes, ...)
    • The design could be fleshed more out imo. I would try to source more details from references, especially regarding construction. E.g. how is the armor and belt buckle held in place? Solutions for this will automatically add details to the model and it will hold up better on close inspection.

here is an overpaint attempting to illustrate some of the points

Maybe take a break from the 3d asset now and then, do an overpaint for fun to try stuff out and set the direction yourself.

Keep it up 🚀

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

Thank you very much for the feedback @Fabi_G ! I agree there is a lot more I can improve, so I will look at this with fresh eyes and your feedback in mind. Some follow up questions, if you don't mind:

1. What part of the metal looks plastic? There's a painted metal element and an unpainted metal element. I agree the unpainted metal needs more work, but if the painted metal also needs more work, I would appreciate the clarification.
    2. I have since updated the rust look on the cloth as well as updated the look of the brackets going down the skirts. Would you be able to take another look and let me know if I'm headed in the right direction?

Thank you very much for your feedback!

• Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Hi! I think this part of the armor looks a bit plastic like

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

Ah, gotcha! I see what you mean now. Thanks for the clarification!

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

Hi everyone, hope you are well today. I'm creating a druid satyr and would love some feedback on the anatomy, especially the legs as I'm still not very good with animal anatomy. There are also some less clear areas I'm still developing an understanding in, like how the muscles of the forearm flow from the elbow to the wrist as well as the sides of the ribcage into the armpit. I greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you for taking the time to critique my work.

• silentheart00
    Offline / Send Message

Started adding in the clothing bits. Here's a very quick and loose sketch (which I now need to make a more detailed one for better reference, ha ha), a description of her outfit, and where I'm currently at with the model. I would greatly appreciate any feedback you guys have, whether it's anatomy or refining the concept or anything else. Thank you.