Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for a portfolio review/critiques

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
legi polycounter lvl 4
https://www.artstation.com/legi

Hey there folks!

Im hoping to get some imput on my portfolio, on what to fix, change, adjust and so on.
Trying to getinto the game industry, so any critique is welcome =)

cheers!

Replies

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    I would recommend removing anything that doesn't have finished textures. The Game Boy, the two bathrooms, the second train car, the characters and the floating island look un-finished. From what I hear, it's better to have a handful of really excellent, polished pieces than a portfolio stuffed with half-done stuff that's just . . .ok.
    I like the selection of props from the old west challenge, as well as the fully textured train car. The train car could use some wireframe and texture map breakdown images though. I also like the tentacle bottle holder, and the floating eyeball in the birdcage. The eyeball in the cage needs some screenshots and breakdowns as well. The model viewers are cool and all, but certain operating system and browser combinations refuse to load those things. Like Google Chrome on my old macbook 2011 with OSX: El Capitan would never wanted to load those 3d viewers.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    I'm seeing all the same issues with your port from last time you posted it. Did you make some meaningful changes since? Reposting for posterity - 

"You've got some cool work and then some okay work. Out of all of it, the banjo felt strongest. I feel like you'd be in a better position if you trimmed out all the quick projects, older less impressive pieces and the simple dioramas. Getting a full environment in engine with props as high quality as that banjo would be great. Or atleast continue on with props of that caliber and beyond.

Oh and I'd start looking around on artstation to get some ideas for stronger presentation of your assets. Wahyu Nugraha, Duard Mostert and Mario Dalla Bona are some of my favs. Sharp, readable and with exciting angles.

Keep grinding!

Edit: Had a better look (was on mobile prior) and have some more thoughts. Assuming you are going for game art, you really need to start optimizing your models. There are micro bevels everywhere that a normal map could handle and very dense areas on your models that could be trimmed drastically while retaining the right look. I'm also seeing quite a few shading errors, which is a shame and avoidable.."