Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Marmoset Subsurface Scattering & Volumetric Materials

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
Some of the materials that i made for my Marmoset Materials Collection SSS available on my ArtStation store page.
They are all made and rendered inside Marmoset Toolbag using Subsurface Scattering, Refraction and in some cases, Emissive light all in one shader of course.
No UVs needed. GI must be enabled for SSS and refraction.

I also managed to create some volumetric materials such as smoke and ghost effect, although they are not perfect due to a lack of a proper volumetric simulation system.
The dragon is a free model that i took from the net, so it's not mine.

Ice ( tinted ):

Jade:

Tinted Glass:

Ghost:

Smoke:

Plastic Transparent:

Candy:

Milk:

More renderings and materials here ( total of 13 materials ): https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Oy9Geg

Replies

• JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan sublime tool
    Really cool. I like the jade, ice, and purple plastic but the smoke and ghost are reading more like flocked plastic. Perhaps some transparency and some alpha cards would help sell it? I think Breaking up the silhouette would be the only way to really make it look gaseous. Although I would imagine trying to get a mesh to look like a particle effect would be pretty tricky in Marmoset.
  • Andreicus
    Offline / Send Message
    Really cool. I like the jade, ice, and purple plastic but the smoke and ghost are reading more like flocked plastic. Perhaps some transparency and some alpha cards would help sell it? I think Breaking up the silhouette would be the only way to really make it look gaseous. Although I would imagine trying to get a mesh to look like a particle effect would be pretty tricky in Marmoset.
    Hey thanks for your comment. The 2 volumetric materials are tricky to do without a proper volumetric system because there are 2 problems:

1) The more you increase the transparency the more color you lose
    2) By increasing the transparency i get strange artifacts like flowing lines of light

The rendering use the Dither mode for transparency. I originally used Add mode+color tint but i got strange artifacts that looks like cracks or lines of lights on the surface the more i lowered the alpha value.
    I got the same problem with Dither but way less so the result you see it's a compromise.

Ex:

Using alpha cards is not really an option because they are materials meant for quick use. So drag and drop.
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan sublime tool
    Oh, drag and drop materials, ok I get it now.
  • Andreicus
    Offline / Send Message
    I corrected the renderings because the contrast wasn't enough, I also modified the 2  volumetric materials a bit more to see if i could get a more gaseous effect.

I also added a couple new materials that were only visible on my portfolio. There are a total of 13 materials so if you are curios you can see them all here: https://www.artstation.com/andreacantelli/store/nd17/marmoset-materials-collection-sss-13-subsurface-scattering-materials

All the changes are in the first page of the thread.