Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beginner Enviromental Porfolio critique/criticism requested

Hello, I'v recently started using blender z brush and substance, I was curious about any feedback on the items I'v been working on and putting into my artstation portfolio any thoughts are appreciated

https://www.artstation.com/bryan_mckinley

Thank you for any feedback in advance.

Replies

• JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    I feel like I´m not looking at baked normals from a high poly on a lot of this, am i wrong?
    I can see the polys on some objects that you forgot so set a smoothing group on so I would fix that ( ink bottle in pirate ship for example)
    In particular the pirate scene seems to have varying degrees of stylized objects, some are very toony while others seem closer too realistic.
    You could try doing a single prop instead of a scene and just focus on doing that really well a few times, it´s easy to spread yourself too thin with big projects. 
  • DarkBladeNemo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarkBladeNemo polycounter lvl 2
    I agree on the pirate scene it looks like you are using different styles. For example the compass looks very realistic in comparison to lets say the chair. So consistency seems to be a little off on the first image.

The second image. The door to the left seems to have some very aggressive normals. The floor also seems a little odd, as if a sheet of gravel was placed on top of bricks. It might help to make the transition from brick to gravel a bit more clear.

The third one nothing really stands out to me except the potion bottles. The texture on those just seem to be a base colour with a lot of gloss. They kind of stick out between some of the more detailed work.

The last picture. The thing that I noticed first was the paper next to the bin. It reminds me of a stiff cloth in a way. Not really getting a paper vibe from it. Other that that you have dirty walls but the rest of the scene looks too clean. You also see some minor clipping from the paper on the right, next to the pillar.

Other than that you seem to be on the right track. Keep it up.