Home Adobe Substance

[Blender to Substance Painter] Exporting multiple UV maps

node
Offline / Send Message
99499 node
Hello, I was just about to post this question here as the information available was very limited (and the one piece of guidance I did find was incorrect) but I figured out the fix and wanted to share.

The problem was that I had two UV maps in blender, "head" and "body," each with their own assigned material, but when exported to Substance Painter (as an FBX of course), it recognized both UV maps, but only recognized one island, the head.

and due to negligence on my end. The cause of the problem was that my head was unwrapped in both the UV maps. So somehow this caused Substance Painter to only recognize that island, between both of the maps. 

The fix was fairly simple. All I had to do was select the common island between both maps (in this case, the head) and weld it down on the desired UV map. Since I didn't want it to be on the body UV map, I selected the island (hover mouse over island>L key), welded it (shift W>Weld) and pinned it (P key). From there it exported just fine and Substance Painter now recognizes both of my UV maps and all of their respective islands. Now you probably have a considerable vacant space in your UV image, which is not making an efficient use of space if you plan to texture or paint them. You can resolve this by selecting all islands (A key) and packing islands (UV drop down>pack islands).

If this doesn't work make sure you have materials assigned to your UV maps as well. Just create a material, give it a color, select an island, and assign it. 

Replies

Offline / Send Message
    99499 node
    Wait a minute, something just went wrong and now this is awkward. I was just repeating my steps to make sure I could perform it again but now it's not working. It either exports the Head UV Map or the Body UV Map despite doing both at once. For some reason the problem happened when I went back to pack the islands.
  • AndySC
    Offline / Send Message
    AndySC polycounter lvl 5
    Have you tried two materials, Head and Body, with one UV for each and no duplicated parts?
    Substance will take each material as a texture with its uvs and let you work from there.

It sounds like you have the head on both UV maps, it should only be on one. Otherwise you're trying to apply two textures to the same area at the same time.
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    You don't need two different uv maps  on a geometry/object  supposing to use two different textures for two different parts.

it might be necessary sometimes for mixing repeating and unique unwraps/textures on same piece of geometry  but usually it 's not.  Even in such cases your repeating uv could be just a scale factor of unique one.  

You may want to make UDIM  styled unwarp and texture naming  by shifting the head to 1   in X or Y ( U or V)  just because it's easier to preview and load textures in  with some soft.
    It's still would be  single uv map.    

Offline / Send Message
    99499 node
    I actually went ahead and just used one UV map for everything and that worked out fine. I think I was trying to do too much before and that ended up making things really confusing for me.