Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Green Lantern

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello everyone

this is my Green Lantern / Hal Jordan 3D Model and i wanted to ask for feedback and criticism , please go ahead and leave your critique , i made this model as if it was made for a game so it's lowpoly and the hair is hair cards (i wanted to train on that workflow)
the thing that im not very satisfied with is the hair , i would love to know how i can improve , so you are free to roast my work as much as you like :)
Cheers

Replies

• ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Hiya Manberg!
    Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas!

Kudos on getting a full character finished and posed. That can always be a struggle. Just....finishing.

So, looking at this character, I'm not seeing it as appearing very "low poly". I see almost no faceting or indication anywhere that this is game resolution. He seems pretty heavy on the triangle count. What are his specs (Tri + Vert count, texture sets & resolutions)?

To me, this doesn't read as "Hal Jordan" - Green Lantern. This looks rather like a man of Asian ancestry. This almost looks like Kyle Rayner wearing Hal's costume.

I feel Hal Jordan should look a little older, more weathered in the face. He is often presented with graying at his temples/sides of his brown hair.

I hope you don't mind, but I've done a little paint-over to show the direction I'd try to push him.

• Manberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hello @ScoobyDoofus ScoobyDoofus 

im very pleased that you took the time to comment on my post and make corrections ! , thank you for that :)

so first of all you are right about the polycount , the character is lowpoly BUT i smoothed it for the sake of the renders
    (maybe i shouldn't have done that haha)
    the polycount is (18.4 k vertices / 20.2 k faces / 33.4 k tris) so here's a render without smoothing:

for the second point i kinda agree with you that it doesn't very much like Hal Jordan ,However i don't agree with the ''older'' look you gave him.
    in the comics and in the animated movies / shows he looks pretty young

Image result for green lantern animated series
    the only instance i saw him looking older is in the show ''Young Justice'' : 
    but that's about the only time i saw him looking like this every other media adaptation and in the comics he looks young
    i'm still not sure what i need to do to make him look more like hal , i noticed this when i was working on it and i tried to make him look
    more like hal by editing his hair a bit : 

im not sure if this has done anything though 

let me know what you think :)
    thanks again for taking the time to reply and even make an illustration that looks good i'm surprised you made it this quick :D 

Cheers