Home Unity

Unity LWRP Point Light Width/Length?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
RabidRabit polycounter lvl 9
Context: I'm building for Web GL via LWRP and can only use a single real time light without lots of flickering issues.

Goal: After my bake pass I am trying to add a bit of a highlight that will pick up things like the metallic/roughness reflections and bounce extra light into dark places that need to be seen and accessed.

The Problem: My issue is that the area I am trying to support with the point light is a long rectangular space so I am losing a lot of the light in the corners and over exposing the center regions. I essentially need the ability to widen the light like the image seen below so I can have a more balanced look.

(This is a screenshot from Unreal, same effect can be created in Marmoset 3)
pointLight_002png

Is there a way to do this in unity without a third party plugin or a having to program my own point light?

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    How about using a long area light instead? By the way, this effect only applies to the specular reflection of the light (in UE). It doesnt actually make the attenuation capsule shaped.
  • RabidRabit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The idea is to get that spec reflection on a long rectangular space on the Unity side as opposed to only having the standard sphere radius. There are areas of interest in the “corner” regions of the environment (essentially a long rectangular room) that look quite flat without the specular breakup the more center regions are getting.

The area light in unity is baked only so no spec highlights there :(

edit: After re-reading I guess you may be saying the UE4 light wouldn’t even help with that, it would only show up wide in the standard radius of reflections. Ooof. Problem easily solved using multiple lights to highlight, if only I wasnt building for web GL haha

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Not exactly.  Lighting has 2 terms. Diffuse, and specular. The highlight is called spacular and its the reflection of the light source itself. This doesn't actually illuminate the scene. In Unreal, this can be made to be a long shape such as capsule. Then there is diffuse lighting, which is the actual light emitted from the light source. Shadows falls into this category too. What I'm saying that the capsule shape only affects the specular term of the light. So  you won't get light emitted in a capsule shape regardless of how long you make it (even if it goes out from the radius of the light). So yeah, even in UE, you would need to place multiple lights to achieve what you want. 
  • RabidRabit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That makes a ton of sense now, thanks for clearing that up! Merry Christmas!