Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shaman - Remake

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
RAME polycounter lvl 4
An old project I wanted to rework on, to improve and develop my skills. Skin texture are handpainted in Substance. Hope you like it!

Replies

• tgm79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tgm79 polycounter lvl 4
    Very nice work. I really like the texture for his vest. Rendered in Arnold?
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    oh man! I remember this guy! Wow, that IS an old project! Nice to see him being revived!
  • RAME
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RAME polycounter lvl 4
    Archanex said:
    oh man! I remember this guy! Wow, that IS an old project! Nice to see him being revived!
    Thanks!
    tgm79 said:
    Very nice work. I really like the texture for his vest. Rendered in Arnold?
    Thank you! The character is rendered in Marmoset!
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

Very nice improvements.

I think the pore details are a bit too uniformly sized. I don't remember the name of this part, but its where one of the tendons runs that makes you smile/grin. And some skin bulges there. I don't think we should see much pores on that part. There are other parts I think should appear smoother, this is just one example.

It is possible to use a second UV channel to make a "detail normal map", which I think might be appropriate. That way if you zoom in real close you can see those tiny pores, but if you are several feet away you really shouldn't see them (because it detracts from a sense of realism).

I've found that a lot of variation in details -- in the color map, normal map, and roughness map -- can do a good job of fooling the eye into seeing realistic detail, even if you aren't super precise in the application. In other words, I am not suggesting to go in an model each pore one at a time, but just mix in more variation overall and then, even if you got a few in the wrong place or whatever, it will just seem more realistic at quick glance.

• RAME
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RAME polycounter lvl 4

Very nice improvements.

I think the pore details are a bit too uniformly sized. I don't remember the name of this part, but its where one of the tendons runs that makes you smile/grin. And some skin bulges there. I don't think we should see much pores on that part. There are other parts I think should appear smoother, this is just one example.

It is possible to use a second UV channel to make a "detail normal map", which I think might be appropriate. That way if you zoom in real close you can see those tiny pores, but if you are several feet away you really shouldn't see them (because it detracts from a sense of realism).

I've found that a lot of variation in details -- in the color map, normal map, and roughness map -- can do a good job of fooling the eye into seeing realistic detail, even if you aren't super precise in the application. In other words, I am not suggesting to go in an model each pore one at a time, but just mix in more variation overall and then, even if you got a few in the wrong place or whatever, it will just seem more realistic at quick glance.

Thanks! Great advise! I will keep it in mind for next character!