Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Roman Courtyard

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
justintaylor polycounter lvl 10
For this Portfolio project i want to try doing something different. I feel like the only materials i ever work with is either metal or plastics so i feel i really need to have a go at some others like stone for example. Another thing that i feel i do to much is Sci-fi, literally all i like doing is just Sci-fi and so i had a think and decided on doing something either Greek or Roman related.  Settled on the concept blow.

Some things i like about this project is that is modular and its nor really going to be difficult or time consuming modelling and i can focus on texture work. I am Hoping to get this project done a lot quicker then previous projects.

Some future issues and challenges i can see from this project is that i have never touch foliage before and my sculpting skills are not the great but it is going to be good experience. 

Replies

• justintaylor
    Offline / Send Message
    To start off i have done a basic block out of the scene in unreal to get the rough scale and feel of the scene. After that was done i exported and then imported it into ,Maya and started working on the modding.

• justintaylor
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update, finished the rough blockout and started to define areas more. 

• justintaylor
    Offline / Send Message
    Managed to get round to adding some base colour and some really simple texture in my first pass. Have been experimenting with substance designer for this project and it seems pretty powerful however i am no where near confident in my ability to use it for anything other then tiles right now. Now that the base colour is ok i am planning on learning and making trim sheets for the next texture pass.

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    hey Justin,
    good start but i would recommend adding more polys to the fountain border. for a small scene like this and given that its a portfolio piece i think you can go to town on the polys :). also, the fountain is kinda the center piece and close to the camera so you should prob spend the most polys there.
    another thing i would recommend, but its more of a personal pref thing, is to lower the fov of the main camera so that you bring in that entrance and be more in line with the ref concept art. also, you're prob going to spend some time working on that area and would be a shame if it is hard to see in the final shot.
  • justintaylor
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress so far on the first of the trim sheets. I can really see the benefits of working in trims sheets so far, so much that i think i might just change my whole workflow and work this why from now one. 

• justintaylor
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 said:
    hey Justin,
    good start but i would recommend adding more polys to the fountain border. for a small scene like this and given that its a portfolio piece i think you can go to town on the polys :). also, the fountain is kinda the center piece and close to the camera so you should prob spend the most polys there.
    another thing i would recommend, but its more of a personal pref thing, is to lower the fov of the main camera so that you bring in that entrance and be more in line with the ref concept art. also, you're prob going to spend some time working on that area and would be a shame if it is hard to see in the final shot.
    Hey thanks for the message. Haha dont worry that is definitely not the final fountain model. Its actually just the block as i want to leave that area for last to really focus on it and as you correctly said its the centre piece. I will remember about lowering the fov when i get round to it thou thanks!
  • justintaylor
    Offline / Send Message
    Been trying out some lighting and seeing how much i can use trimsheets.

• justintaylor
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got round to having a proper go at doing the lighting and increasing the AO. Apart from the lighting i decided to remake a few parts and change of of the trim sheet textures. Pretty happy looking back from the last time i have posted. Feel like i am getting to a state where i can start to really focus on areas and refine. For this project i have used a foliage pack from the unreal store as i did not want to spend the time on foliage for this project.

• justintaylor
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a tiled marble floor material, modelled in the ceiling, lilly pads and added more props to the scene. Playing around with the lighting again but I think I am just going to start the lighting again as its not quite working how i want it to currently.

• valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    valentin_baguirov polycounter lvl 3
    So far I love it!
  • justintaylor
    Offline / Send Message
    Took a long break from the project but finally got back into it. Still got a lot to work on but happy how its coming together. 

• justintaylor
    Offline / Send Message
    Adding in a lot more props and revisited some old parts of the scene. Any crit is always welcome on how I can improve the scene.

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Good progress!
    It feels a bit too dark overall. Do you plan on baking the lighting?
  • justintaylor
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 said:
    Good progress!
    It feels a bit too dark overall. Do you plan on baking the lighting?
    Thank you and yes the light is just basic for now.  Going to have a good play around with lighting when I finish making more props.
  • Elivenger
    Offline / Send Message
    Elivenger polycounter lvl 2
    This is starting to turn out really good! Are you going to add more to your sky? Like a different time of day or weather condition? Maybe some volumetric Clouds would be cool. I feel like your sky could be a little more interesting. Other than that I like the composition! 
  • BradyJ
    Offline / Send Message
    BradyJ polycounter lvl 3
    I think its looking great, I'm glad you decided to come back to this project! I hope you take the lighting to the next level once you are done with the props. I just started watching 51 daedalus on youtube. He does a great lighting academy and gives a lot of info on static lighting.