Home Technical Talk

Rigging Issue

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Iwalyl polycounter lvl 2
I'm currently doing the Pluralsight creature rigging for games course. So far so good but I encountered an issue after a couple of lessons that is making my head hurt. I have done an intensive step by step of the tutorials and run some troubleshooting but the issue persists. 

When creating my ik spine, the way he is doing it is by creating a ribbon surface, adding hair follicles (to position ik joints) on the surface, and then driving the surface with a wire deformer and a twist deformer and my bones with constrained to the ik joints in the follicles. Once everything is linked  and the mesh skinned the intended functionality works perfect but I get this weird deformation on the mesh;

https://gyazo.com/839c7f1d27450bed5f133917c5b0b51c
https://gyazo.com/6119263e92b257d9bb2ea17cd3164eeb

If someone has any idea how this might be happening or what can be causing the issue, I really appreciate all the help.

Thanks

Replies

• Seth389
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seth389 node
    Not sure what software you're using but I can see that most of the "weight" of your spine is on the top part of the torso and you have a relatively short "spine" that you're manipulating. You're basically creating a lot of stress on the mesh past a certain point, basically when the first section of the spine reaches the same height as the 2nd section it makes the mesh rotate to keep its Z (height) value as consistent as possible.

Again, not sure how your software works >_> but I'm pretty sure there's several workarounds.
    Distribute the "weight" more evenly along your spine and/or resize the spine to represent the scale of your torso more accurately.
    The way you have it set up , that first section of the spine controls almost the whole upper part of the mesh.
    It's spinning on itself because the sections of the spine below the first one are controlling "less" of the mesh.