Home Unreal Engine

Modular building and player scale in UE4

armagon
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
armagon polycounter lvl 11
I'm working on a small set of modular building assets, like walls, floors, pillars, etc. I'm using measurements from the building industry (drywall size, stud distance, etc) to make sure my scale is correct. I'm also using cm as my unit in Blender. However, when importing the assets into UE4, the scale seems off.

How do you guys deal with that? Do you change the player scale in UE4? How can I change that? Or do you change your assets to match the engine, even though if the measurements don't make sense in their real-world counterparts?

Replies

• Graylord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Graylord polycounter lvl 9
    I seem to remember that the default player height is 200units. If you want to make your objects fit a character that's around 160-180cm, you might have to scale everything up by around 10-15% to match.
  • Satotiga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Satotiga polycounter lvl 11
    Real world scale doesn't quite work as you would expect in UE4 - I've tried it myself when recreating a room in my house and it felt too tall and too narrow.

There is a great article from World of Level Design which explains the basics for the player scale, as well as scale for regular building items such as doorways, walls, etc. I've pasted the link here: https://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categories/ue4/ue4-guide-to-scale-dimensions.php

I use 3DS Max for modelling, but it shouldn't be too different: I have my scale in cm, as this is what an Unreal Unit is, and set my grid in 10cm spacing. I then base all my scale off a player-scale model which is 60cm wide, 60cm long, and 180cm high - this is the same size as the Third Person player model in the UE4 engine.

Let me know how you get on.
  • AlexandrL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexandrL polycounter lvl 6
    If you trying to compare you models to default UE4 character - im personally think its a bad idea. Default UE4 manequin are quite wierd. If we imagine manequin as a real people he would look a kind of power lifter or something like that. 
    Im trying to model some stuff to real world scale and in front of UE4 manequin it always look smaller.

Probably the best idea yould be modeling a character first, and then modeling everything else to match his sizes and proportion. 
  • armagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armagon polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you all for the help! The World Of Level Design link really helped.