Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

US tank recovery vehicle

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Reboot2k polycounter lvl 6
Hey  =) 

This is a M31 recovery vehicle i have been working on lately. I wanted to try my hands on a tank. Went for this one as i found it interesting, and its a tank that i feel hasn't been done to death already. 

high resolution made with a Maya and Zbrush combo. Substance painter for the textures. Toolbag was used for baking and rendering. 
In the renders i use
2x4k for the tank
1x2k for the accessories
1x1k tileable texture for the ropes, cable and the tracks.

Feedback is highly appreciated!

Replies

• Temppe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Temppe polycounter lvl 12
    Very nice.

The bump effect seems to be a bit strong to my eye - it makes it look like a miniature model. Also, the scale of the jerry can sitting on top seems off... it looks very small, comparing it to the ladder, say.

Also I just noticed, there seems to be no way the guns can elevate! is it supposed to be like this?
  • Reboot2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Temppe
     Yeah i probably got a little carried away with the bump in some areas. the scale of the jerry can is something that i did not notice before you point it out.
    Based on my reference, the gun is actually welded that way. Seems like accuracy was not a concern for this tank model.

thank you for the feedback
  • Grindy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grindy polycounter lvl 10
    To add something else; these tanks (I imagine they are propane tanks or something like that to power some tools) have a weird wear to me. I'd do less "spots" if you see what I mean, unless maybe you have refs of these with such wear.

Otherwise I like it! Good work.

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seeberg polycounter lvl 6
    Love the progress so far! To add on to everyone else, another pass at the roughness values could help. The painted metal and exposed metal look to be melding and making it muddy if that makes sense. Could also be more of a palette issue. But if you throw it in gray scale you loose a lot of those nice details. 
  • marco_3D_artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marco_3D_artist polycounter lvl 5
    Great work! I really love the texture!
  • Reboot2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback guys!

@Grindy   That wear was basically me thinking it was kinda cool. I went back and and updated it after looking at some real life reference. Thank you for pointing that out!

@Seeberg I see your point. I have tried to push the roughness values a little bit. But i try to reserve a little bit of a overall "dirty" look. I appreciate you taking your time to help me out!

@marco_3D_artist Thank you very much  =)

I post a small update based on the feedback received. Done some small adjustments to the bumpiness in some areas. tweaked the scale of the jerry cans, and a little touch up of some of the roughness values. 

https://youtu.be/Fw77LjVg554