Home Career & Education

Should I upload my models to sketchfab for portfolio, even if they don't represent my current level?

Zot
Zot
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Zot polycounter lvl 4
Hello,

Will it be ok to upload models from a portfolio to a sketchfab, even if the models do not represent my current level as a 3D artist?
First, I made some decisions I am not sure they're correct (some weird UV decisions and crappy topology), no one would see this in regular beauty shots. But if I upload my models to sketchfab and some recruiter will check the model for topo or uvs he probably will think that I have crappy or non-industry wise technical skills and will prefer not to contact me...
But I kind of want to share my work and I put a lot of efforts into it, and there are a lot of hidden features that no beauty screen will show. Like fully textured underwear and small details...
I am struggling to decide what to do.

Thank you for help in advance, sorry for crappy language.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get feedback on the actual models, by posting them on Polycount.

Put them up on Sketchfab, then make a new topic in 3D Art Showcase & Critiques, embedding them in there, and asking for feedback. 

My general feedback, without seeing your models, is to show only your best work, but show it as well as you can. Good presentation skills makes a big difference... Lighting, framing, posing.

An interactive 3d view is a plus, but the first and primary way to showcase your work will be 2d images. 
  • Zot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zot polycounter lvl 4
    I meant that 2d images are pretty, and 3d model is good. BUT there are probably some issues in UVs and topology, and you don't see it in 2d image...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I understood your question. Always show 2D images first, then include 3d viewers as an option. Most hiring managers will not take the time to load 3d models, the 2d images must sell your work first and foremost. If they have questions about the 2D image, then the 3d view is available, and may be loaded, maybe.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    In other words, nobody will waste his/her time loading a 3d model if they can already see in a preview image that it doesn't meet their standards.

If the render looks interesting and fits the project then they will move on to the other things to find reasons not to hire you. If you pass this as well, then they will invite you for an interview and/or art test (and they won't be just checking the pretty 2D image and 3d viewer for that).

Hiring process is a process of elimination. From the employer side they are looking for reasons to reduce the pool. So they will be probing to find those issues in your work. A portfolio is suposed to answer as many questions as possible before your first interview. If your work is weak - in whatever sense - it will be an argument to cut you. The questions your portfolio doesn't answer will be tested later in the process (if you are interesting enough).

Keep in mind that your portfolio as a whole is there to show your eye for quality as well. So make sure that the portfolio you are using for applications only has your best work in there. You can have other stuff online, but keep it clearly separated.