Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Abandoned Train Wagon, Yes, Yet Another Abandoned Scene... [UE4]

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Tiodorr polycounter lvl 3
Hello fellow polycount people.

I finally dared to post something online and I am very excited to share my newest personal project with you guys.

I had the idea to make a small, playable scene in UE4 with an abandoned and then re purposed tank wagon by wanderers who need shelter in the middle of nowhere. 
It all started with deciding to do a modeling exercise and finally decided to create a tank wagon that was inspired by The Walking Dead game. 
After I decided to take it further and make a story out of it. 

I am looking forward to finishing this scene and will post updates on a regular basis..hopefully!  :p

Replies

• Tiodorr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reference board for the tank wagon. Main inspiration is from The Walking Dead game, asset created by Elite3D studio.

• Tiodorr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since I had aleady started with the project, but was feeling anxient to start a thread, I had already made the wagon itself. After that I gave it a 'destruction' pass and started designing sort of a shelter that survivors have put together from scrap parts from other train wagon nearby. 

• Tiodorr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made the initial blockout of the scene, where I can accommodate my abandoned wagon. The environment will be a small scene, which supports the story and indicates the reason for abandoning. I want the scene to take action in late autumn and the initial lighting pass I established tries to support that. I still need to work on the intensity of the shadows and the ambient fog.

• marco_3D_artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marco_3D_artist polycounter lvl 5
    Great Job!! I would love to see it textured ;)
  • Tiodorr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tiodorr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Small progress on my small level inside #ue4. Added a first, rough iteration of my trees. Still figuring out the overall layout and blockout of the scene.

• Tiodorr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update of my small playable scene.

I'm currently making progress on the landscape, story behind the train explosion, tree iterations and the wagon model itself.

I would love to know what you guys think! I will keep posting updates.

• Tiodorr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final touches on the tank car, repurposed as a shelter after the train explosion.

Still need to take on the clothes and sculpt them up.

Hope you guys like it!! Cheers!

• Tiodorr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After tweaking my UV layout to optimize it for the most resolution possible, I already started texturing. (I used a ton of mirroring and stacking)

This is the progress I have so far, I spent a considerable amount also to pick a nice palette, that would suit the asset and the environment it is going to be in. 

As a bonus, I do these test renders in Iray, with a nice autumn HDRi that goes well with my plans.

• Tiodorr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Close-up and more progress on the look development, and comparing to real-life reference. As the asset is quite huge, I first try to take on focal areas (areas of interest) and establish them first. Then I take a break with them to do some smaller portions of the asset. 

Saving time in Painter became almost unbearable (about 3mins)

By the way the resolution I am working on is 1024. As a result, the images I am showing here are not the most hi-res, however I still keep in mind to frequently check the results in 2k and 4k.

Hope you like it. 

If anybody has any comments on my progress, I would love to hear about it!

• Tiodorr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made some screenshots, texturing this enormous thing takes so much time!!

Hope you guys like it so far and I am really curious to hear if you have any feedback on this big guy.
  • Tiodorr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texturing the broken bridge. Currently blocking out some basic textures to see how it feels. Because the reason for collapsing was an explosion, I will need to go hard on the smokey areas and burnt wood.

• Tiodorr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress on my rusty guy. I applied 2 coats of paint on the main bridge structure and most of it got peeled already.
    The wood will need to be randomized in Maya later on.

• Tiodorr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started set dressing the level, the trees were made in Speedtree and for the organic assets, I the 'Open World Collection' from the Marketplace, since they are not my focus for this project. 

There is still a lot of iteration to do, but it is getting there.

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    hey man, good progress so far.
    i see some places where the models could use some more polys - don't be afraid to add where needed.
    the metals look dull and uniform, almost like plastic - i know that real corroded metal is really rough and dull but yours looks somewhere in between. look at real metal painted and rusted - there is variance - some dull parts and some shiny ones.
    the yellow texture is too repetitive - add some variance to break it up.
    don't spend too much time doing renders because it will look different in unreal.
    but looks promising and i like the idea a lot.
  • Tiodorr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks for the feedback Teodar. 

I totally agree with all your points.
    I also got somewhat confused with my reference, as some of them had a different degree of rusting and was also not entirely sure how much I wanted to push it.
    I will try and fix it up now :))

Cheers.
  • Tiodorr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Animated some cloth to react to the wind. I will have to tweak the wind settings to get better results I guess.

Image from Gyazo

• Tiodorr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest updates from my scene. I really didn't have the chance to update the thread but I essentially dressed up the scene with a bunch of premade assets from the Megascans library and Epic's Open World Demo.
    I also scanned a few objects by myself to create a small library of assets.