Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Junior 3D Artist Portfolio Feedback

Hi everyone

I'm Ivan, a Junior 3D Artist who've been in this industry for 1 year. I just wanted to show my portfolio to everyone here, so you can check out and tell me what do you think about it.
I'm actively applying for any kind of job, such as freelance or mid or full time job. I think I'm prepare to join a company as Junior but I would appreciate any kind of feedback about my work.

https://www.artstation.com/ivancaceresbouzada

Thanks everyone. This mean a lot!!

Replies

• RipperSplitter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RipperSplitter polycounter lvl 5
    Hey Ivan, 
    You have some great work on there, I like you're substance designer work partially. Personally I'm not a fan of how you have you're work displayed into "albums". Usually with a portfolio you want to have all of your work as easily accessible to a potential employer as you can with out them having to jump through a load of hoops. On Artstation there is a way of keeping your work in "albums" but they're still displayed as if they're not. I do a similar thing on mine https://www.artstation.com/samiam3d (Though it is worth noting that I don't give potential employers this link, I actually give them www.samiam.co.uk which I can swap work in and out of.) 

I also fear that you actually have too much work on there, some of which are defiantly stronger than others. Ideally you want put your best work on there, that's quality over quantity. 

Hope this is helpful to you, keep it up! 

-Sam-
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    RipperSplitter nailed it...nuke the albums.  Only time albums should ever be used is for much more Sr artists (with established pedigree) who have worked on multiple projects and want to split them up.  Otherwise, it's a deterrent and I definitely don't want to see it in folios 90% of the time.
  • rakosivich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you @RipperSplitter and @slosh. After checking it again, I see it and you're right. I had my portfolio without albums a month ago. I changed it to see if it would be better or not, but I'm definetly agree with you both.

Appart from that, is there anything else you see in my portfolio that's weak, or something I need on my portfolio?

I say it because I despite that I'm actually a Generalist artist I want to be an Environment artist. I'will do more environments and ready game assets, which is something I need. I think so.

Again, thank you so much for your feedback!
  • Stanley3DArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stanley3DArt polycounter lvl 5
    Hey Rakosivich, great work overall, definitely agree - nuke some of your older pieces. I'd say as a general comment a few of the environments are lacking in surface detail and clutter that would really help the floor and walls feel less rigid and boxey - break things up with more articulation along those surfaces. Definitely agree your material work is great and a strong point! 
  • rakosivich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, thank you @Stanley3DArt . I'll hide those that weaken my portfolio without doubt.
    About your environment tip, I have it in mind, that's a nice a point. An as I said I will upgrade my skills over the months with new updates such as environments props and materials.

Thank you!  =)
  • RipperSplitter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RipperSplitter polycounter lvl 5
    I say it because I despite that I'm actually a Generalist artist I want to be an Environment artist. I'will do more environments and ready game assets, which is something I need. I think so.
    Yeah definitely you're portfolio should reflect the type of work you want to do. Now that doesn't necessarily mean that you should only focus on environments, but it's better to have more environments than anything else. 

Another note: at a junior level it's important to show stuff like mesh wireframes and your textures, employers like to see how you've used polygons and how you lay out UVs, etc. They can tell us a lot. On that it's nice to see you posted your node graphs for your designer work! 

I'm glad this has been helpful.

-Sam-