Home Technical Talk

Cushion/Couch Technique

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
dirtyhairy polycounter lvl 12
In the past I've hand brushed cushions like this in zbrush, but I feel like there should be a better/faster way to do this.  I'm wondering if anyone knows any good techniques for this look? Specifically, the area with the buttons.

Alphas? 3d scans? cloth sim??

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Alphas you get from a cloth sim :smirk:

• dirtyhairy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirtyhairy polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks Sprunghunt, yea thats the route i was leaning towards, just thought there might be an existing tutorial somewhere extra fast and awesome.  I found some stuff using Substance Designer, but I currently do not have a copy of that software.

I did find another tutorial of sorts that I will probably use.  They are doing a combo of cloth sim for the larger shapes, then hand painted for the small wrinkles.  They use premade alpha brushes for zbrush, and just drag them right on top.  Saves a lot of time.  I'll post some images when I'm done, although I will have to wait for the NDA to be lifted :(

Workflow:
    (I'm not selling anything here, just showing the workflow that I plan on using)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J7HI8uIAHk&list=WL&index=50&t=245s

• Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Traditional poly modelling or subdivision modelling, but it's a time eater and you need to understand how folding works very well. You also need to know a lot about subdivision surfaces in order to have a good and clean mesh.

You always can use a cloth sim like in the video you posted, and later apply something like Quad Remesher in 3ds Max. The cons, the mesh might be quite dense and not clean, they usually don't offer the topology we need, and moreover, you would still need a zbrush pass.

Anyways, i would do a sim cloth, because you save the effort and time of doing all that by hand. Then, you could model a tiling mesh with good topology for the problematic part, finish the model, and reproject the mesh onto the one with the cloth simulation. Retopo workflow basically + zbrush finish pass.