Home Technical Talk

Photogrammetry pipeline - using it with Topaz DeNoise AI ....?

Jonathan85
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
Hello
Is it good idea to use denoising programs (especially Topaz DeNoise AI (which i believe should be the best out there...?)) with (or rather in) your photogrammetry pipeline? Using Agisoft photoscan (metashape) especially?

If it is a good idea, where would you put it? I would propably try to run all the images i would like to process (allign) in Topaz DeNoise AI BEFORE even touching agisoft. That means using already DENOISED images in agisoft...?

Is it a good idea? Would i get a better result (or worse)?

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    I asume on some objects it does give you better results on other worse.
    If the denoise does cleanup important features you wont get good results. 
    If there is a good patern on your object it could help to denoise it.

You have to try it on a per asset base.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I tried it only few times with denoiser trial version  to improve resulting height/depth texture baked from Reality Capture 200 mil mesh.   Photogrammetry always tends to do a bit noisy geometry.  

Looks like Topaz AI just doesn't understand what  a heigh/depth    channel/ image  is  and not trained to work with it.   It only gets worse loosing important details.

As of processing source pictures I have never tried .  My experience with photogrammetry tells  it doesn't like even slightest source image editing but who knows , try and tell us please.