Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alprazo Lane. Folio piece for feedback.

fu_films
triangle
Offline / Send Message
fu_films triangle
Hello all, been doing 3D for a little over a year now and have put together this folio piece. I would love any kind of critic/feedback on it. Many thanks!

Replies

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    Really cool, but the longer I look at it the more the lighting buggs me. Most of your lights are coming form nowhere, lighting the buildings in strange places/from strange angles, and sometimes not casting proper shadows. In a scene like this, every light should have an actual source (moon, sky, street lamps, spot lights, car headlamps, neon signs, interior lights, bat signal, etc. etc.). If you want to have crazy lights coming from every every direction, that's fine, but reign it in with real wold logic by building some spot light models and finding good lighting reference.
    Your models and textures are pretty good though.
  • fu_films
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fu_films triangle
    Really cool, but the longer I look at it the more the lighting buggs me. Most of your lights are coming form nowhere, lighting the buildings in strange places/from strange angles, and sometimes not casting proper shadows. In a scene like this, every light should have an actual source (moon, sky, street lamps, spot lights, car headlamps, neon signs, interior lights, bat signal, etc. etc.). If you want to have crazy lights coming from every every direction, that's fine, but reign it in with real wold logic by building some spot light models and finding good lighting reference.
    Your models and textures are pretty good though.

James thank you for your feedback, much appreciated. I certainly did get a bit fanatical with the lighting in an attempt to make things interesting. However I am unsure as to what you mean by building spot light models?

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    You know, build a spot light. Open up your 3D modeling software and actually create a spotlight model that you can place on your buildings to give the lights in your scene an sensible starting point.

• Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    The modeling and texturing looks really nice, but the lighting and skybox are killing me in that first shot. It looks like you have a lot of scattered point lights without any motivation for the lighting (eg spotlights or other light fixtures, as @JamesBrisnehan pointed out above). This makes the shot really hard to look at, since the lighting is not helping to provide a focal point.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah I think the random lights kind of makes your buildings look metallic or plastic. Check out the lighting for the Arkham games. Also your rooftops are a bit boring, maybe add some more meshes/damage, HVAC, pyramid windows, etc, because from the top down they're all just squares.
  • fu_films
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fu_films triangle
    thanks for clarifying that James, I can see how that will add a motivation for the lighting.
    Carabiner said:
    The modeling and texturing looks really nice, but the lighting and skybox are killing me in that first shot. It looks like you have a lot of scattered point lights without any motivation for the lighting (eg spotlights or other light fixtures, as @JamesBrisnehan pointed out above). This makes the shot really hard to look at, since the lighting is not helping to provide a focal point.
    Carabiner thank you for your feedback, I'm still very new to the skybox side of things, what aspects should I be looking to improve with it?

Yeah I think the random lights kind of makes your buildings look metallic or plastic. Check out the lighting for the Arkham games. Also your rooftops are a bit boring, maybe add some more meshes/damage, HVAC, pyramid windows, etc, because from the top down they're all just squares.

Ashervisalis also thankyou for your feedback and suggestion, looking at it now, I certainly overlooked the rooftops in the scene.

• Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Your skybox is super dark and contrasty, I can't say I've ever seen a real life sky that looks like that. What time of day are you going for? How can your skybox and lighting better support that?
  • fu_films
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fu_films triangle
    Well I wanted it to be around evening but I wasn't really taking into consideration realism, I just wanted it to look cool... But obviously I am going to have to be far more conscious of realism in these aspects and again thank you for bringing these omissions to my attention so i can improve.