Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Working on Hard-Surface Weapon for the first time!!!

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hey everyone, I'm self-taught a 3D prop. artist from India. I've been doing 3D for over an year now. I haven't done weapon modeling yet! I'm more into environment prop and environments.
I'm currently working on a FPS game (we're a team of 6-8 hobbyist connected via Discord.)
I one of the two 3D artists we have in the team. I just got the task to model a 'SCAR-L' for the game! 
Clearly, It is going to be a Hero prop and will eventually get animated as well.
man! this makes me nervous!
you can check my artworks here, (https://www.artstation.com/untamed_wolf )I haven't done any intensive Hard-surface yet!
also, it is the first time, I'm posting on Polycount. 
I don't know if this post will reach you or what to expect. I'll keep on posting my WIPs everyday, whenever I'll work on it ( I have my semester end so I can't guarantee of posting every day until 22nd December)
Today, I searched for Blueprints and adjusted them in Maya and worked on the main body a bit, I have to go out for my college now, I'll continue on this tomorrow.
here's the screenshot of today's progress! (I'll do all the optimizations at the end)

Replies

• Vishesh3008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the first update. I was able to get some time from college and work on the model. I now started gaining some confidence and successfully managed to block out and establish the basic shape. Tomorrow's a holiday so will continue tomorrow then. (I'll do the optimizations once I finish the model)
  • Vishesh3008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, So I recently finished the model and wanted to share the final one here.
    Here are some screenshots and GIF.
    Closing this thread here with this reply.
  • fredriklars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fredriklars polycounter lvl 13
    I am not an authority on hard surface but this looks pretty neat. I checked your artstation too and it looks like you have a very good foundation so I'm sure you will have no problem bringing this model to a great polish.
    A casual word of warning though. If you are working on a game that you intend to finish, it can be dangerous to get caught on props or weapons so make sure you finish this one fast and jump to the next. A full game requires a lot of models and with only two 3D artists you have to really prioritize your time.

Model looks great though, and I would love to see textures  :)
  • Vishesh3008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou so much for the feedback and response. 
    Yeah I agree on prioritizing things and finishing early but the guy who's making the game is on vacations and will be returning around 24 this month. So he asked me to deliver the model before 24th and meanwhile, I'm working on my personal projects.
    Tbh, I didn't expected a response to my thread. But since I've got now, I'll be posting more updates and try to be regular here.
    You'll surely see the textures as soon as I contact him and ask him about its details. Meanwhile, I'll be posting another thread today. WIP of my current project. I've started texturing last night only.
    Again, thanks a lot for feedbacks :) 
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Well I'm no authority on hard surface either... but, I am aiming to be.

So I'm going to give my crits

Image result for scar l

The blueprint is.... problematic

1. It got the gas tube all wrong
    2. It pretends the sling holes in the front don't exist(a large part of the  silhouette of the gun from the front), and presumes that the whole FDE bit is continuous
    3. This could just be an older model of the gun or something but that is not how the hinge of any scar I've seen looks, on either side.

But I think it's just a bad idea to model from a blueprint because you'll miss a lot of the more subtle form changes in some parts of gun.

I'm going to link two images of the side view of the scar H, basically the same weapon but with a longer barrel. I think you should model from that

Picatinny rails(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picatinny_rail) have standards for the dimensions, this should have with the proportions issue
    Image result for picatinny rail dimensions rifle

That, having a lot of reference images and keeping in mind that a lot of what you have now looks kind of blocky(particularly in the headrest,front bits & receiver), should help with the modelling process. Have fun!
  • Vishesh3008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, Thanks a lot for your critique, I was really missing these things. Thanks a lot for guiding. Really useful information.
    I'll implement these for sure and share the updated model asap! :)
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Like mentioned above, the proportions are way off in many places. Download PureRef and try to find some good reference pictures of the SCAR L. If you are going to use the SCAR H references keep in mind that not only the barrel and flashider are different but it has a different caliber as well so the magazine will be larger and the ejection port as well.
  • Vishesh3008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, Okay sure. Thanks a lot for suggesting.