Home Technical Talk

45deg turns in a modular corridor?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
kritskiy polycounter lvl 10
Hi everyone,
How would I approach making 45 degree turns in a modular set? I made a section like this that works great with 1 tile but the more tiles I add the more it breaks:

Is there a better approach in doing this sort of task? 
Should I simply intersect geometry and cover the intersection? (might be difficult for walls: there're cables/tubes)
Should I make 5-10 different turn sections for a specific length of a corridor? (seems like a lot of work espesially with retakes and different corridor types)

Thank you

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    You might have to create unique "45-degree" tiles which still match the global tiling.
    The problem with your angle element and the 45° elements is that is's not within the tile-boundary. You are just stitching them together in a local-space fashion.
    There is nothing like a 45° tiling. There is only your normal tiling and everything has to sit in there. It can look like it's 45° but that's just a visual illusion.

At least that's the best solution I discovered yet.
  • kritskiy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kritskiy polycounter lvl 10
    rollin said:
    The problem with your angle element and the 45° elements is that is's not within the tile-boundary. You are just stitching them together in a local-space fashion.
    There is nothing like a 45° tiling. There is only your normal tiling and everything has to sit in there. It can look like it's 45° but that's just a visual illusion.
    Ah! I can see what you mean. So it'd be more something like this?

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Yep,
    but you have to test it for all the cases and assets you gonna need. There is a Fallout 4 (i guess) dev sheet stressing that all gemogetry should stay inside the grid. This means you have to really split your stuff into horizontal and vertical quads of various sizes. You  might end up with a 2x2 grid section for a diagonal tile. 

The point here is to try to reduce the chance of an invalid constellation of tiles to a minimum if you build a complex scene.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    https://youtu.be/QBAM27YbKZg?t=579
    In Fallout4 they had custom pivots for these types of "off grid" cases (~9:40). It was an in-editor feature that allowed them to stick to a custom grid for a specific section. It basically realigned the grid to that new hallway while maintaining the grids for the other sections.

That whole talk is a really good dive into modular systems, all of the kits that go into the environments and and their workflow.

What is really interesting is where the talk about past workflows and how they have evolved and adapted over time to the needs of the games they are building. Which is important to keep in mind, adopting their system might not be the best way forward for your particular scene/game and there are a lot of ways to solve problems, so you have to be careful and not just do it a particular way because that's how someone else solved a different problem. 
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Ah thank you Mark! :cookie: