Home Career & Education

3D Portfolio Presentation (Polycount)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
jdellinger98 polycounter lvl 5
Quick question when displaying your 3D models in a portfolio. I see a lot of people that put the poly or tri count for there low poly and high poly pieces.

What or how should I put it if my low poly has say 4 ngons but my high poly only has polygons? (Due to reducing the count in low poly version)

Also I’m terrible I mean TERRIBLE at 2D and drawing, so all my models are made from reference images and concept modeling I do before really starting (I wasn’t sure what the standard was so I didn’t/don’t want anyt Design in my portfolio that isn’t my own) because I can’t draw I would place basic shapes or sculpt the basic form then go from there.

Should I Mention it’s my own design even though I don’t have any drawings to back it up?

thanks!

Replies

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Its fine to create stuff based on other peoples designs, if you do so you should always mention that you have used their design and credit them.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Don't label any counts for the high poly, it doesn't matter so it's irrelevant. If you have n-gons, your 3d app should still display the tri count that it will have. Really, if you have ngons they should only be on a planar surface of your low poly, otherwise when exported to a game engine it may not maintain the right curvature when it gets auto triangulated. 
    When you are starting/learning as an artist I would recommend to never design things yourself. You can't create functional and well thought out designs unless you have the visual library of existing shapes/form in your head. Every single artist uses references, even professional designers..
    You should watch every video on this channel imo. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N0C5mTZrLY
  • jdellinger98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew said:
    Don't label any counts for the high poly, it doesn't matter so it's irrelevant. If you have n-gons, your 3d app should still display the tri count that it will have. Really, if you have ngons they should only be on a planar surface of your low poly, otherwise when exported to a game engine it may not maintain the right curvature when it gets auto triangulated. 
    When you are starting/learning as an artist I would recommend to never design things yourself. You can't create functional and well thought out designs unless you have the visual library of existing shapes/form in your head. Every single artist uses references, even professional designers..

I enjoy flipped normals (even though they have a focus on character creation)

I use reference and a lot of other peoples concepts as a starting point; I just merge different ideas from each and focused on hard surface read material on subjects like mechanical engineering. But, each project I work on there is probably a hundred different references I'm looking at during design, some concept art, some are real life images and schematics.

The Ngons I'm currently mentioning are on a flat plane its reducing the polycount from 5 (might be 4) to 1 going throughout the rest of the model. Using 3ds max when Turbo smooth is active it switchs to polys but the low poly it has 5 points. 
  • jdellinger98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also wanted to mention I don't have an interest in anything concept related; I wouldn't turn down a job like that but that is not a discipline that i'm seeking.