Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Survivalist

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
lasoob polycounter lvl 8

Got her finished up. Definitely want to continue tackling projects with challenging hair in the future 🤔

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/W2LkP3

Concept by Connor Sheehan.

This was my initial pass at the sculpt. It was ok but I wanted to improve the trousers, hands, skirts and jacket.

Current high poly progress on the clothes. Majorly simplified the jacket, remade the trousers, finished the hands and made some changes to the skirts.

Replies

• lasoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lasoob polycounter lvl 8

I already took the face further than the clothes and I've been planning out what I'll do with the hair but I'm now wondering if I should have tried to get a likeness in the face. I used ref of real women to make A but the character might not look right for a survivalist type now.

Made some paintovers and I think C is the closest to looking like the concept with the features and face shape but now don't know if I should go back and make some adjustments or carry on to get my character finished.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I like C the most. Looks the most weathered/weary. A is too young and perky. C is starting to look like a vet who's seen some shit. I think it's the small change in expression. Other ones got mouth slightly open, as if she is ready to make some reaction. Eyes seem interested as well. But C looks like exhaustion. No muscles wasting unnecessary energy. Flat, cold, eyes just seeing and that's all.

If it was my model, I might experiment with some subtle crows feet and/or cracked lips. Don't wanna make her too unappealing but that might help give a greater sense of realism. Just idea, not saying it'd be better at all.
  • lasoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lasoob polycounter lvl 8
    @Alex Javor The guy who made the concept did state she was meant to be young. But maybe you're right, she might be out in the sun a lot and probably squinting so crows feet and cracked lips might work even if she's young.
    Thanks for letting me know which one works the best  :)
    C really is the one I should use if I want to sell a story.
  • lasoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lasoob polycounter lvl 8
    Haven't updated this in a long time but she now has hair and fur! I need to finish her texturing and then I'll be ready to pose her I think =)
    Diverged from the concept with the hairstyle but I really like the more textured hair and it was more challenging which is what I wanted from this project.

• lasoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lasoob polycounter lvl 8
  • akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akiratang polycounter lvl 11
    Looks reallllly good, i like how you did the little curls on the hair. I like how she currently looks C would be my pick as well.
  • FilmDirectorSciFi
    Your work is excellent! Love how unique she is. Don't stop!!