Home Technical Talk

Modular dungeon enviroment. Finding the grid layout

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
AlexandrL polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys :)

Im not totally newbie to 3d modeling overall, but totally newbie to modularity, at least in terms of "natural" enviroments like dungeons, caves or something like that. Modularity in, as example, sci-fi enviroments are something natively included and "seams" and some geometry inside "transitions" are complitely okay.
But im plan to make some Diablo 3/4 modular dungeon enviroment, so im trying to avoid any seams complitely (Diablo 4 are best example of seamless enviroment in my opinion).

Im trying to find best options to modular blocks layout but atm i have 2 versions and every version have some unwanted moments.
First version will leas me to complitely unwanted "transition" area.
And the second one where i change pivot of the walls and corner pieces to floor tiles center, will cause some unused area. 

And yeah, i understand what we can easilly avoid "transition gap" problem by make some "transition gap" geometry and use world projection texturing. But i dunno those first version still look a bit frustrating. 
In the other hand, second version will lead me to bunch on unused area which i marked on picture. Its okay, cause (if you know how in do in Diablo 3/4) those area will never appear on screen cause they always covered with some caves wall geometry.

Maybe there's some 3nd version of modular layout which i dont know? 

Replies