Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Military land navigation simulation art assets

Replies

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi polycount lvl 666
    Like the Hummer's addition, to my mind adds a point of reference for the player, in a sense something too aim at whilst navigating en route.
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J veteran polycounter
    Doing some playtesting: 

There's plenty more I'd like to do regarding graphics and the world but too many other things take precedence for the moment. Once I basically finish the game and get mostly focused on marketing, then I'll start adding in more variety to the vegetation and more hand-crafted areas to make it feel more like a real place and less like procedurally spawned foliage.

Besides just adding more content I want to see what can be done to get smoother looking appearance. Especially the wind animation grass looks kind of choppy - i bet there is some stuff i can do with anti-aliasing to get a cleaner look. 

Couple more months I'll have demo ready that includes training. 
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    A demo is available now, you can get it at the LANDNAV discord here : https://discord.gg/mz5WZz9KHW

If you aren't on discord and would like a copy send me a PM and I'll send a link. 

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Some quick running around after making some changes to how the forest is spawned: 

I saw there is a tool on the marketplace for more user friendly procedural spawning compared to Unreals built in Procedural Foliage tools. The plugin is called "Simple scatter" and really helps cut down on iteration time so I took a few hours to update the forest.

I fiddled with post processing a little bit too, trying to get a sharper look. My recording quality isn't super high so its hard to tell, but it looks a little more crisp compared to before. Overall I am happy with it - if I had millions of dollars I'd get some help with the lighting and pay a couple enviro artist to go to town making lots of interesting things to look at, but considering the scope of the game and the development circumstances I think it's job well done for now.

I got plenty of coding left to do but looking forward to eventually making some new terrain types. 

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    I was doing some playtesting and noticing a lot of weird graphics glitches related to the DFAO being used in conjunction with origin shifting. I have a script which should update all the mesh distance fields each time origin is shifted but nonetheless just seeing a lot of ugliness.

That was a whole thing to fix...anyway, it got me digging into graphics side stuff again so I got to tweaking a little more... one thing that's been bugging me is the colors had too much contrast and it felt a little off. Sort of cartoony almost. Things weren't blending together in a natural way - it was just bugging my eyes I felt like it wasn't nice to look at. 

So I went through all the textures and made little tweaks. Nice thing about unreal is you can do that right in the editor. I also increased the dithering on the tree shaders. Sometimes this is very obvious to see on billboards in the distance, but it overall looks much nicer than a bunch of chonky trees showing off their cards too much. OVerall I feel like this looks more natural and pleasing. 

I also made a LUT for warmer fall colors feeling. I originally thought a cooler feeling would be most appropriate, kind of get that damp fall feeling, but after awhile I feel that gets old and kind of sad to look at. This is a game where when you play, it will usually be a couple hours at a time and its slow paced so I think it needs to be a pleasing experience as much as possible.

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a few changes that helped get rid of the ghosting artifacts. Game reads much cleaner now, especially during high wind the leaves aren't turning into a blur. 

That was accomplished by changing these rendering parameters:

r.BasePassOutputsVelocity=True                // Enables rendering WorldPositionOffset velocities in the Base Pass, significantly reducing blurring of moving vegetation, for a large increase in image quality, at the cost of some performance.

r.BasePassForceOutputsVelocity=True           // Enables the computing of motion vectors in the Base Pass. Required to be combined with r.BasePassOutputsVelocity=True for a large increase in image quality, at the cost of some performance.

r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1                      // Enables an alternate filter kernal for TemporalAntiAliasing(TAA) for an increase in image quality.

r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=0.5                      // Enables a subtle sharpening of the screen via the ToneMapper for an increase in image quality.

Idea for that came from the Rural Australia project on marketplace. I forgot the authors name but that project has helped me out big time so I have to thank him some how once I publish this game.

Screenshots won't show the improvements that much but it does look sharper and cleaner overall. I recorded a video but I forgot the bit-rate was turned down so it's chunky looking. Later in the future I'll do plenty of marketing video anyway. Overall game is looking quite nice now. In some areas it's beautiful actually. It looks better in motion of course. I think the colors are working nicely. Using the LUT helped a lot. Other than that there is no post processing. 

I also disabled distance meshes and the associated DFAO. That does decrease a sense of depth, but the performance saving is huge... but the big thing was, with DFAO I was getting a lot of weird artifacts after shifting the origin a few times. Plus the fact that when shifting origin I also have to shift all built meshes as well, which causes a heavy hitch. Perhaps it is something that could be fixed but that's a little more technical than I am so I go with the simpler solution to just disable it for now. 

The water shader I was using was beautiful but it depended on distance meshes so it had to go. I replaced with the basic water shader from Unreal standard assets. It's fine enough, gets the job done. In future I'll go over the creek sides and beautify them, right now the transition is lacking. That's low priority stuff though.