Home Technical Talk

Help! How to model character in complex pose

Hi! I'm relatively new to 3d, so I have a question: how do you model a character in really complex pose? (something similar to  classical sculpture for example) I assume it goes something like this: sculpt symmetrical body >  pose character > clean up sculpt and add details > retopo + uv > texturing ?
And if it has two or more parts (like if character laying on the bed or something), do I keep it merged with polygroups or split it on different subtools? 
Thank you!

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Depends what you want the model for. if you have access to zbrush it has pose symmetry. So you set up the base mesh, apply symmetry and then switch to poseable symmetry. 

The only reason you would retopo is if you wanted to create a game asset, an asset for animation, or  an asset f0r an animated scene and use it with displacement maps.

You would split a figure from it's base for ease of sculpting and previewing, and eventually for baking maps if the figure was a character standing on a platform for example. If you wanted the base to appear as if it were attached (like a figure lying on a bed) you may well retopo the figure and the base as one. The same as a sculptor would approach the project.

If you want better information post some shots of what you are doing, or want to achieve.